LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Security light flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light flashing.

Tried looking at other posts with security light issues and still cant diagnose problem. Its an automatic 1994 z28. When putting the key into on position to try and start the car the security light comes on and flashes once every second but shuts off when i turn the key back. Car does not even crank but all the dash lights come on as usual. Not really good with electronics so i dont really want to bypass anything. Its not even my car just helping out a family member. Ignition switch wires look fine and wires coming from lock cylinder look okay. Was told it could also be the resistor in the key or the TDR is bad. Car hasnt started in over a month. No check engine lights are on either.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperSS
Tried looking at other posts with security light issues and still cant diagnose problem. Its an automatic 1994 z28. When putting the key into on position to try and start the car the security light comes on and flashes once every second but shuts off when i turn the key back. Car does not even crank but all the dash lights come on as usual. Not really good with electronics so i dont really want to bypass anything. Its not even my car just helping out a family member. Ignition switch wires look fine and wires coming from lock cylinder look okay. Was told it could also be the resistor in the key or the TDR is bad. Car hasnt started in over a month. No check engine lights are on either.
Make sure the resistor pellet is centered in the key itself. If it is go here....

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. But he told me he had his t-tops off and he put them on and locked them both and when he went to get in his car the whole locking mechanism fell out of the t-top and broke so he left it. Then the next day when he took the t-tops off the car would not start and flashed security. I think its just a coincidence but i wasnt sure if the theft deterrent system was somehow linked to the t-tops? IDK

Quick Reply: Security light flashing.