Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove the key - problem with the shifter's spring? (see photo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove the key - problem with the shifter's spring? (see photo)

Today I couldn't remove the key from the ignition on my '99 Z28 even though the auto trans was on "Park".

I lifted the console and found out that when I give a little push upwards to the shifter's park-lock mecanism (see arrow in photo) it slides back where it should be and frees the key from the ignition.

The problem is that now the mecanism sticks like this every time. What could I possibly do other than driving without the console (joking )... how about if I replace the spring (the one you can see on the photo) for a stronger spring? Is there another solution? I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

That black rod, [the one thats about the diameter of a pencil]. Is anything rubbing on it, such as the wires that run inside the console?
It does not take much pressur at all to keep it from sliding forward, which allows the steering to lock/ remove your keys.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem after parking my car for a build and through winter. I found that all it took was a little Wd40 on my key and in the cylinder, fixed the issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. The problem was a couple of wires resting on the black rod, just like dannyz explained.