Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler right off the header?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Muffler right off the header?

Hey fellas, i run the X1 cam which is a reverse split. i been thinking about getting rid of my magnaflow catback and ORY for a TSP dual setup. which reverse splits should love. my question is what if i went a cheaper route and bought a race muffler either Dynomax Bullets or Borla XR1 and run em right off the header? any pros and cons? would doing it this way be just as loud as running a TSP true dual system? also would u guys suggest turn downs?

would you run faster running a setup like this?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been done. It's a loud set up in car because the exits are under the passenger compartment. Too loud for my tastes, it will have a lot of drone. But if that's what you wanna do just do it.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
It has been done. It's a loud set up in car because the exits are under the passenger compartment. Too loud for my tastes, it will have a lot of drone. But if that's what you wanna do just do it.
thanks man! yeah im sure its been done. im cammed, longtubes and ORY and magnaflow is too quiet for me. not that its not bad, just pretty quiet. just trying to decide on which brand muffler to run. its between Borla XR1 and Dynomax bullets. im just wondering if i would need turndowns or anything?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've driven a setup like that, although it wasn't a cammed car. It was loud, although not as loud outside the car as the drone was inside. You'll have to hammer your floorpans some depending on the muffler you pick, and you'll need to rig up exhaust hangers to keep the weight from hanging off the head, and to keep the muffler from hitting the bottom of the car on bumpy roads. It'll also get your *** nice and warm. Turndowns might help a little with that part, but not a whole lot. You'll also lose some power down low since you won't have any scavenging going on at all, and depending on the muffler, it'll either sound like loud raw ***, or a boat with straightpipes.

My recommendation would be to get a set of duals and call it a day. If you're really worried about getting every last bit of power out at the track, you could install cutouts in the duals.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could run pipes straight back and put the bullets and dumps right before the axle. Its a fairly common set up. I have the Dynomax bullets, I love them. For the price difference it was an easy decision between them and the Borlas
Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
You could run pipes straight back and put the bullets and dumps right before the axle. Its a fairly common set up. I have the Dynomax bullets, I love them. For the price difference it was an easy decision between them and the Borlas

yeah the borla XR1 is pretty pricey.. im leaning towards the dynomax bullets as thats what i wanted to run with a tru dual system from TSP. i know im looking at a 3" system. just wondering what length would be best. the dynomax bullet mufflers are like 45 bucks each.

Quick Reply: Muffler right off the header?