any GM techs here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any GM techs here?

my sisters 02 v6 camaro is throwing a catalytist low efficiency code, isn't there a 100 mile warranty on the cats? i just wanna make sure before i tell her to take it to the dealer and get raped on the cat and install, and "diagnosis fee". any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Teching In

could just be a bad rear 02, put an o2 sim on it and be done.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Launching!

that coverage is for the v8 only not v6 and its untl 120k
Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Answer: Federal Emissions Warranty for the catalyst, ECU, and OBD system is 8 yrs. use or 80K miles whichever occurs first. For California emissions spec vehicles operated principally in the state of California it's 10/100K.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/420f09048.htm

Suggestion: It's just a V6 Camaro, take it to a muffler shop and have them install a generic replacement cat and clear the code. No need for dealership raping if that's what they want to do.

Observation: Emissions control diagnostics is what I do for a living. And trust me the fee is for your own good. This allows me to inspect your vehicle and tell you what needs to be done and why to get your vehicle compliant and keep it that way as long as reasonably possible so you don't throw good money after bad. If your sisters car has a misfire or worn out spark plugs wouldn't she want to know that a new catalyst will burn up in weeks or months without addressing the cause first? Or do you want to just keep installing converters and blame me for installing inferior parts? You may even find out that the issue is a computer programming issue and not a faulty component at all so the real issue gets taken care of on the first go around. But you have to pay people to find these things out for you. Nobody owes you anything outside of the warranty.

Correction: A "bad" O2 will set a code that means "bad O2" not bad catalyst. I don't know how to stress this enough as I hear it all the time. IE: "Hey there's a code that means the O2 is reporting a problem with XYZ. Let's get a new O2.". NO see what the problem with XYZ is because if the O2 is reporting a problem then the damn thing works. This is especially so with catalyst efficiency codes. Why? Because if an O2 has actually failed behind a cat, failed in a way where it's range is small then it's acting just like an O2 simulator that reports a GOOD CAT. If the cat fails the rear O2 bounces rich to lean just like the front O2 and that sets the cat efficiency code. Therefore only a properly functioning O2 sensor can allow that code to set. If the O2 wasn't switching much or slowly (BAD) the ECM will be happy with that to a degree because that's what the signal would look like with a good catalyst. Therefore money you just spent on a new O2 sensor or simulator was wasted as it didn't fix a thing and would have been better spent on the "Diagnostic Fee" to a professional who can tell you where to spend your money wisely instead.

Correction: The emissions warranty is the same for both those engines in that car and none of them go past 100K or 80K outside of California. I looked. But YOU should always refer to the information that came with the car and or owners manual. It's a big investment and can cost you a ton of money so read the instructions before use. Sometimes manufacturers do extend warranties out of courtesy or federal mandate so call the dealer service personnel with your VIN# whenever you are in doubt. Or pay a good diagnostic tech to and go back to making money the way you do it and he'll find out for you the way he does.

Good luck,
Vernon

Last edited by Manic Mechanic; 08-21-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Launching!

manic mechanic i myself work at the dealership and i also strive to provide accurate diagnosis and not jsut throw parts at it, im an ase master with 100% goodwrench training and i know a thing or two.. and like i said there is a special policy for v8 engines
....xTooltipElement
Service Information 2002 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro, Firebird (VIN F) Service Manual | Document ID: 1873709
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05513: Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty - (Nov 27, 2006)

Subject: 05513 - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - CATALYTIC CONVERTER EXTENDED WARRANTY

Models: 2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO

2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are all 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Camaro
Y2100004
Y2177266

Pontiac
Firebird
Y2100002
Y2177254

Chevrolet
Camaro

Pontiac
Firebird

Chevrolet
Camaro

Pontiac
Firebird

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicle

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe LH

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe RH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe LH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe RH

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure
Refer to Oxidation Catalytic Converter Replacement (5.7L Left and Right) in SI for removal and installation instructions.

Claim Information
For vehicles repaired under the terms of this special coverage submit a claim with the information indicated below:

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part Number
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item

Inspect and Replace Catalytic Converters
--
--
MK-95
T5656
N/A

Customer Reimbursement (Canadian & Export Dealers/US CAC)
N/A
N/A
N/A
MK-95
T5657

* The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for catalytic converter parts needed to complete the repair.

** The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the customer reimbursement amount.

Customer Reimbursement - For US
All customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs for the special coverage condition are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by November 30, 2007. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 km (120,000 miles), whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

• Proof of ownership at time of repair.

• Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

December 2006
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro or 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicle, equipped with a 5.7L V8 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 engine, may have a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the right and left catalytic converters. If this condition occurs on your 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro or 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service, or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. The Customer Assistance Center’s hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438

Pontiac
1-800-620-7668
1-800-833-7668

Guam
1-671-648-8650

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

General Motors Corporation

Enclosure

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

OK cool. I know it happens from time to time. I looked under 02 v8 emissions TSBs for it but didn't see it right away and it was getting to be a long posting IYKWIM. Sorry for the misinformation on my part.

Vernon
Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, that is some good info yall gave me, thanks alot i will prob go up to the dealer this week with the car and see if they can do under that warrany, her car has 86K on it, so we shall see.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Launching!

they probably wont cover it, like i said it only applies to ls1 motors, hers was only under the federal mandated, 8yr/80k miles and shes over by time and miles,
but if you beg enough sometimes theyll do it if your a good customer
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to bump an old thread but, I was reading this and tried to call my local Chevy dealer (Moritz Chevy) here in Fort Worth. Explained to them what I was talking about and even gave my vin number (at first they kept trying to tell me my vin was for a Firebird...) then they tell me the warranty does not exist and they have never heard of it. My car is a 2000 so I was trying to find out if it was still in the warranty or now our since its almost 2011.

So whats the deal, did only select dealers actually honor this or what? Ramairracer I believe you work at moritz don't you, can u tell me whats up?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Hate to bump an old thread but, I was reading this and tried to call my local Chevy dealer (Moritz Chevy) here in Fort Worth. Explained to them what I was talking about and even gave my vin number (at first they kept trying to tell me my vin was for a Firebird...) then they tell me the warranty does not exist and they have never heard of it. My car is a 2000 so I was trying to find out if it was still in the warranty or now our since its almost 2011.

So whats the deal, did only select dealers actually honor this or what? Ramairracer I believe you work at moritz don't you, can u tell me whats up?
First you need to know your inservice date. The dealer can tell you. That will tell you if you are still under the 10 years or not. If you're under the 10 years, print the long post that ramairracer posted and show them. They can look it up from there. Any Chevrolet dealer would honor it if it applies to your situation.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Answer: Federal Emissions Warranty for the catalyst, ECU, and OBD system is 8 yrs. use or 80K miles whichever occurs first. For California emissions spec vehicles operated principally in the state of California it's 10/100K.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/420f09048.htm

Suggestion: It's just a V6 Camaro, take it to a muffler shop and have them install a generic replacement cat and clear the code. No need for dealership raping if that's what they want to do.

Observation: Emissions control diagnostics is what I do for a living. And trust me the fee is for your own good. This allows me to inspect your vehicle and tell you what needs to be done and why to get your vehicle compliant and keep it that way as long as reasonably possible so you don't throw good money after bad. If your sisters car has a misfire or worn out spark plugs wouldn't she want to know that a new catalyst will burn up in weeks or months without addressing the cause first? Or do you want to just keep installing converters and blame me for installing inferior parts? You may even find out that the issue is a computer programming issue and not a faulty component at all so the real issue gets taken care of on the first go around. But you have to pay people to find these things out for you. Nobody owes you anything outside of the warranty.

Correction: A "bad" O2 will set a code that means "bad O2" not bad catalyst. I don't know how to stress this enough as I hear it all the time. IE: "Hey there's a code that means the O2 is reporting a problem with XYZ. Let's get a new O2.". NO see what the problem with XYZ is because if the O2 is reporting a problem then the damn thing works. This is especially so with catalyst efficiency codes. Why? Because if an O2 has actually failed behind a cat, failed in a way where it's range is small then it's acting just like an O2 simulator that reports a GOOD CAT. If the cat fails the rear O2 bounces rich to lean just like the front O2 and that sets the cat efficiency code. Therefore only a properly functioning O2 sensor can allow that code to set. If the O2 wasn't switching much or slowly (BAD) the ECM will be happy with that to a degree because that's what the signal would look like with a good catalyst. Therefore money you just spent on a new O2 sensor or simulator was wasted as it didn't fix a thing and would have been better spent on the "Diagnostic Fee" to a professional who can tell you where to spend your money wisely instead.

Correction: The emissions warranty is the same for both those engines in that car and none of them go past 100K or 80K outside of California. I looked. But YOU should always refer to the information that came with the car and or owners manual. It's a big investment and can cost you a ton of money so read the instructions before use. Sometimes manufacturers do extend warranties out of courtesy or federal mandate so call the dealer service personnel with your VIN# whenever you are in doubt. Or pay a good diagnostic tech to and go back to making money the way you do it and he'll find out for you the way he does.

Good luck,
Vernon

Thank little baby Jesus in Heaven SOMEONE finally understands that, I have NEVER understood why people always think that if the car reports a faulty cat that the 02 sensor is bad. In laymans terms without understanding switch rates and how the 02 reports to the ECM that the cat is bad, it plainly says, catalys efficiency below threshold, that says bad cat!

Sorry rant over, I will just never understand... Maybe its because I actually understand how the system works.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro

pm me or post your vin and ill look it up and see if it fits into the special coverage, it may not thought since a 200 model will probably have a 99 build date
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent.

Thanks man.