Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap on a budget questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap on a budget questions

I am looking to possibly do a LS swap in my 71 Buick Sportwagon. I have a couple questions: I am on a budget.

Luckily I have a couple u-pull it yards in Denver, so I should be the one pulling most of the parts. What I want to know is:
1) How much of the wiring harness do I need to pull? which harness?
2) I know that if I go Carbed I shouldn't need the FI harness. Anyother harness will I need?
3) Will my BOP TH-350 work behind a LS engine?

Thanks for the info

Tim
Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go carbed you will probably need that edelbrock/msd setup, which isn't cheap (though I think some guy on craigslist has a used one somewhere). Once you work it all out going carbed isn't a whole heck of a lot cheaper, but I'm pretty sure as far as wiring goes that whole kit is pretty much plug and play. There might be a couple build threads with carbs in the a-body thread collection.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Teching In

A really good carb setup is going to be as much, if not more than FI. Figure $1500-$2,000 for everything. Then you have to screw with jets etc... I am biased against gasoline toilets though...
Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Pull the full engine harness and all the wiring that is connected to the ECM and get the ECM also. Some of it is extra, but it's better to get more than not get something you need. I'm pretty sure the trans will work as well, but I think you need an adapter of some kind. There are probably threads on it that address it more.
Good Luck with your swap - I did one and never regretted it.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. As much as you can get. But realistically you really only need the engine/trans harness. if yourr going to use the truck fuse center also cut the plugs off of the rest of the harnesses that plug into it and keep them, it will make wiring it in easier.
2.Nope, the carb kit should contain the wiring you need.
3. The BOP TH350 will work but you will need the flywheel spacer and the BOP to chevy engine adapter plate.

Quick Reply: LS swap on a budget questions