Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Spohn Solid motor mounts really do raise the motor...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default So Spohn Solid motor mounts really do raise the motor...

I need some ideas guys. I installed Spohn solid motor mounts yesterday because I prefer them to the Prothanes. However, I found out that the rumor that they raise the motor isn't a rumor. It's most definitely true. I have Pacesetter LT's and TSP duals and the small piece of pipe that comes off of the drivers side header (The one that has a slight downward angle so it can clear the floorpan) doesn't clear anymore. No matter how I adjust it or move it it's resting against the floorboard... And I had a generous 1/2" of clearance before. Great...

So I'm thinking about taking that piece of pipe to a few local shops and see if they can replicate it, only with a steeper angle so it clears the floorboards. What do you guys think?

Also, why the hell don't they just leave the motor at it's stock height?? I don't know why they designed them to raise the motor. Will the motor being slightly elevated hurt anything, or put stress in certain areas/joints?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

after i got my spohn pedastals i e mailed em and asked the exact question.......they said NO........guess the stock rubber shrunk so much that after new polys the engine rose up to its normal height
Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
8 Second Club

was the headers or the exhaust after the headers were hitting?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
after i got my spohn pedastals i e mailed em and asked the exact question.......they said NO........guess the stock rubber shrunk so much that after new polys the engine rose up to its normal height
Well I switched from a brand new set of Poly's to these and it STILL raised, so they are full of ****.

Originally Posted by ls1curt
was the headers or the exhaust after the headers were hitting?
The exhaust pipe coming off of the header was hitting. However, I used to have a full thumb width between the floor and the header collector, now I can't even get my pointer finger in between The header collector is about 1/8" from the floor now. There's no doubt that the motor mounts raised it. Nothing else was changed. It's the only part that's different in the equation from Friday when the poly's were still in it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

I made the switch to solids almost three years ago and I've had two different sets of headers(Pacesetters and 1 7/8 Kooks) and never had any clearance issues
Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have solids as well. I do like them and have no issue with my header clearence. (LPP's) But they for sure raise it. While taking the trans out I noticed this. Although you can't pull it down like stock I took all the bolts out of the mounts that go into the K member to allow it to pivot. Hardest time I've ever had removing a trans. After it was out I bashed the **** out of the floor but install was still a pain.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

I've had solids before, and I remember them causing the QTP's I had at the time to be tight. It's nothing that I can't work around, I just need to get the pipe adjusted a little bit now. It's definitely the mounts that raised it, like I said, nothing else changed. Dropped the LT's, swapped mounts from poly's to these, reinstalled LT's... Lost about a 1/2 inch or a little more of clearance. There's no adjustability in a set of LT's so I know it's the mounts. Everything is seated fine, and install was painless. **** just sits higher now.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you know since they are solid you may not have a problem with the 1/8th inch spaceing since the motor should not rock back and forth in relation to the body.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the height that changed, you no longer have 500+ lbs hanging off of some soft rubber. They are identical height but the metal does not sag. I had the same issue with my spohns on my old car, I had to take my STB off because it was hitting the intake after I installed them, mine was even more drastic since my mounts were 140k+ miles and completely destroyed. I got almost 3/4" lift out of it.

I put poly on my current car and it raised up a little bit as well, before them the oil pan was practically setting on the k-member.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Well I switched from a brand new set of Poly's to these and it STILL raised, so they are full of ****.
Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Its not the height that changed, you no longer have 500+ lbs hanging off of some soft rubber. They are identical height but the metal does not sag. I had the same issue with my spohns on my old car, I had to take my STB off because it was hitting the intake after I installed them, mine was even more drastic since my mounts were 140k+ miles and completely destroyed. I got almost 3/4" lift out of it.

I put poly on my current car and it raised up a little bit as well, before them the oil pan was practically setting on the k-member.
Read the thread, man. The O.P. just switched from a brand new set of Polys to the solids. There was no sagging.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Read the thread, man. The O.P. just switched from a brand new set of Polys to the solids. There was no sagging.
Yeah I caught that after I posted, just didn't feel like deleting my post. Regardless, even with less clearance it shouldn't be an issue since it can't move any more now?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jerflash
you know since they are solid you may not have a problem with the 1/8th inch spaceing since the motor should not rock back and forth in relation to the body.
Part of the reason I love mine. My whole TD system is tucked up within 1/8" of the floor boards.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ Exactly why I did it. I wanted to get everything tucked up as far as possible without having it hit the floorboards. I'm not worried about the header being close. The problem is that the small 12" pipe that comes off the drivers side header doesn't have enough of a downward angle built into it to clear the floorpan. So I'll have to get it "adjusted" a little bit.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a set of solid mounts going in soon (not Spohns), and I'm interested in seeing if they raise the engine. On stock rubber mounts with 87k miles, so I know the engine will come up some, but seeing if different solid mounts raise the engine also should be fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Element
I've got a set of solid mounts going in soon (not Spohns), and I'm interested in seeing if they raise the engine. On stock rubber mounts with 87k miles, so I know the engine will come up some, but seeing if different solid mounts raise the engine also should be fun.
Who else makes solid MM's?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
There's only one other company besides Spohn that I know of... can't remember the name off hand though, but I know there's another.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
PA Racing.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ That's it.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Teching In

do the PA have the same bad rep as the Spohns? ive been looking into the solids, but kinda just counted them out of the picture because of the 1 inch raise
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WagnutSS
do the PA have the same bad rep as the Spohns? ive been looking into the solids, but kinda just counted them out of the picture because of the 1 inch raise
Car goes in next weekend for new headers and solid motor mounts; I'll post up once I get the car back on whether the PAs raised the engine or not.

Quick Reply: So Spohn Solid motor mounts really do raise the motor...