LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3 questions, are they all caused by the same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions, are they all caused by the same problem?

I have a 94 M6 Formula and it is running like crap! It surges at Idle, it misses at low RPMs and it bucks like a bronc. It also is pouring oil out of somewhere (I am assuming the intake as it is running down the top of the trans). Can a bad intake gasket cause all of this?

Also I have the EGR tuned out of the computer, but it is still on the intake. Can this also be the culprit? I was going to use the block plates when I installed the intake gasket.

When it surges it sounds like the bottom end of the engine is rattling?? It sound horrible. Also when it stalls, and it does alot, it grunts like the timming is too high or something?

It has a new opti, (yes oem all new delphi) new plugs, new wires, new waterpump and new ac delco coil. Other than that it is stock.

The surging started after the tune up??? Oh yeah, it has the power tune from J Solomon. All of this was done at the same time and that is when the surging started. It does not run hot, it accellerates very well, just when you stop it surges horribly.

Any Ideas???
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil on the top of the transmission is a characteristic sign of the infamous intake manifold leak.

When the EGR is programmed out of the PCM, the EGR valve stays closed as there's no input from the PCM to open the solenoid to send vacuum to the valve. It shouldn't cause your problems, but you should remove them.

Take a video of the sound the motor makes. If the bottom end is rattling, that could be the sign of something far worse than a surge at idle.

With some posted datalogs, it would be much easier to determine the cause of the surging. I am sure Solomon would take a look at it for you, or one of the resident LT1 tuners on the site. One would deduce that the surging could be caused by something gone awry in the tune-up.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Take a video of the sound the motor makes. If the bottom end is rattling, that could be the sign of something far worse than a surge at idle.

I will get a video, but it only rattles when it hits around 300 rpms. Also noticed an exhaust leak when driving it on the drivers side? Could be leaking before the o2?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Push the clutch pedal all the way in with the rattle and see if it goes away. Clutch forks and TO bearings like to rattle in the M6 cars. I bumped my idle speed up to 875 to minimize my clutch fork noise from vibration (not bad but it annoyed me).
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

It only rattles when it surges down to about 300 rpms.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994 TA
It only rattles when it surges down to about 300 rpms.
I think that sounds normal....obviously motors are not designed to idle that low.