Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another noob from so.cal

Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noob from so.cal

Hi, my name is Jacob and I am building a 1968 Chevy C-10 short bed with a 2008 5.3L Silverado motor (LY5 I believe.) Anyway, I was hoping to get some info about some of the sensors on the LY5. If anyone has pics of the sensors it would really be helpful. I would also like some pics of the emissions equipment components that others have removed when installing in a non-emissions vehicle. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails Another noob from so.cal-p1030876.jpg   Another noob from so.cal-p1030877.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Wow, nobody even says hello, or maybe good luck on the project. I was really hoping for help on this forum, but maybe not. Maybe I'll try taking pics of my sensors and number them to see if I can get some info.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt worry about it too much jacob, this is a slow part of the forum. Usually its just people posting their builds, or the people following them. More of the people who continuously post and have those sensors at hand would be in the gen 4 external section, or any of those 4 similarly named sections. If it helps any, a lot of those sensors swap from one year car/type of vehicle to another (just like everything else on these engines)

And good luck, older ls trucks have always been my favorite swaps.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.. don't know much about the LY5 and it sensor.. I would have to defer to anyone that has some working knowledge with the LY5, but most of them should be pertty much the same as all of the Gen III/IV engines.

What information do you need for the emission. Being a 68, it would be exempt from being tested. You can just remove and plug the ports of the EGR and AIR. Would recommend leaving the PCV system.

The EVAP can be used or removed, if you remove it, just have the code flashed out. But if you want to use them. You can and they pertty much operate like any other system. ECM controls it, EVAP needs input from the fuel tank (pressure and level)

Suggest you research more on the forum.. and ask you question on specific question in a seperate thread.

Which sensor do you need information on.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's a real basic on the sensors from what I've identified on my LY6. It should be similar for yours.
  • On the passenger side of the block, near the rear midlevel you have the engine speed sensor / pickup for the reluctor wheel.
  • Both sides of the block near the bottom middle, knock sensors (this is different from earlier LS1s which had them in the top of the engine)
  • Oil pan passenger side, oil level sensor
  • Top rear driver's side of the valley pan behind the intake manifold, oil pressure
  • Top near the front of the intake manifold, manifold absolute pressure ("MAP")
  • Driver's side head in front of the #1 exhaust port, water temp
  • Timing cover cam position sensor if you have VVT. That's also where the solenoid system is for controlling VVT.
There are more than these like the MAF, O2s, etc but those arean't really located ON the engine, so I didn't mention them.

Welcome to the forum. I am a noob myself, also from So Cal near Ventura.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another noob from so.cal