Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnect MAF = Harder Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnect MAF = Harder Shifts

In an attempt to find out what's holding my car back from it's full potential, I went ahead and unplugged the MAF to see if it was causing problems. When I bought the car I noticed the previous owner had installed a K&N air filter. Since over oiling those can an issue, I figured I'd start by diagnosing the MAF to see if it was faulty/defective.

As it turns out, the car seemed to respond much better, it shifted harder, and seemed overall faster without the MAF. I believe someone put in a shift kit. There's more of a jerk when changing gears. But before unplugging the sensor, the car seemed to shift like it was stock.

Excuse my noobishness but why would the transmission react so differently to a disconnected MAF sensor?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

im pretty sure the maf controls the tranny line pressure and when u disconnect it sends it all the way up ..
Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:facepalm: what do you mean its "full potential". you are stock with a lid/cutout you should be making maybe 20 hp over stock. if you arent throwing codes there is nothing wrong with the MAF. your line pressure got bumped way up when you unplugged the MAF. no one put a shift kit in if it shifts normally with the MAF plugged in. you are lucky you didn't blow your tranny.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electronic cleaner would have been a better idea, if you wanted to see if the MAF was dirty...yanking an essential part out of the system isn't really the way to diagnose whether it's "bad" or not, since you're not replicating a clean MAF with it unplugged - you're replicating a third situation, it being unplugged.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes the MAF is one part of the equation related to shift firmness. Now plug it back in and step away from the car.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Also keep in mind when the MAF is unplugged the PCM is commanding way less timing due to the fact that it goes to the ''low octane table''. Meaning in the upper rpms you're gonna lose some HP for sure.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
:facepalm: what do you mean its "full potential". you are stock with a lid/cutout you should be making maybe 20 hp over stock. if you arent throwing codes there is nothing wrong with the MAF. your line pressure got bumped way up when you unplugged the MAF. no one put a shift kit in if it shifts normally with the MAF plugged in. you are lucky you didn't blow your tranny.
Just because its not throwing codes does not mean that there is not something wrong with the MAF. When I first bought my car I was having a high rpm stutter. It wasnt throwing any codes. I cleaned the MAF and dropped a full second in a 1/4 mile.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tg580
Just because its not throwing codes does not mean that there is not something wrong with the MAF. When I first bought my car I was having a high rpm stutter. It wasnt throwing any codes. I cleaned the MAF and dropped a full second in a 1/4 mile.
Unplugging your MAF to see if there's something wrong with it isn't quite the correct way to diagnose it.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The oil from the filter gets on the MAF causing it to read low, which causes several things:
- line pressure is commanded lower (trans may slip),
- cylinder airmass is low (causes less fuel to be injected at WOT),
- ignition timing is more advanced (may cause motor to ping/knock);

All of those will slow down your car.

Your PCM has the MAF fault pressure modifiers enabled: when the MAF is failed/removed, the PCM commands higher/maximum pressure.

Last edited by joecar; 08-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unplugging the MAF forces the PCM into speed density mode which will then be using your VE table for fueling calibrations, and as others have said it will raise line pressure. Descreening the MAF also raises line pressure. I do not recommend taking the screen out of an automatic.

If you're having problems and believe it to be MAF related, find a tuner in your area and have them log MAF hz and see what it's doing. The MAF's for these cars do die, especially with higher mileage and used in conjunction with K&N air filters.

Quick Reply: Disconnect MAF = Harder Shifts