LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spun bearing but no sign of metal in my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun bearing but no sign of metal in my oil?

Hi guys,

I've been searching away but I cant find a clear answer here.

This is a B body. Setup is LE2 heads/cam and stock bottom end with high mileage. 3.73, yank 3600, ect.

Recently I cracked my flexplate, throwing off the external balance weight in the process. Transmission had been having trouble on an ongoing basis so I had it rebuilt and learned the pump inside it was cracked, explaining the low line pressure I was seeing. Car was down a while while the tranny was being rebuilt. I installed the new tranny and it sounded like the converter had something broken rattling around in it, only while idling and not in gear. The only other symptoms were 1 tapping lifter and an 1860 code. Sent the converter back to yank and they say it's fine.

My next intuition was that a bearing had spun, but my oil filter is clean and my oil appears to be clean.

I'm at a bit of a loss on where to go from here. Again the sound is only at idle while in neutral or park. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check yuor flexplate bolts? Even if one is loose when under a no load it will tap like a rod.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Teching In

i know for a fact that there might not be visible signs of metal shavings in the oil because i spun a rod bearing in my LT1 camaro and no metal signs till i got it all riped apart
Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Get a mechanics stethoscope or a chunk of garden hose, that way you can tell if its even in the motor.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Drop the trans inspection cover and make sure there is nothing loose in there.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schultzy06
i know for a fact that there might not be visible signs of metal shavings in the oil because i spun a rod bearing in my LT1 camaro and no metal signs till i got it all riped apart
Not saying you are wrong. But I dont see how this can be the case. I would imagine there is sediment on the bottom of the pan though but one would think if that were the case, it would be in the filter too.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the ideas. The car is sitting with the motor in it, and the tranny is on my garage floor. I'm wondering at this point if I could manage to get the headers back on and start it up with the tranny out to see if I can pinpoint the sound. Seems like a really bad idea though. Kind of wondering the same with the transmission. Could there be a problem with the rebuild causing this which might also explain the 1860 code?

On the suggestion to remove the inspection cover, that was my initial move. I installed the fresh transmission, got under there while it was on jack stands, and it seemed the noise was coming right from the converter. I put the mechanics stethoscope on the oil pan and the transmission pan, but didn't seem to pick anything up. The loud exhaust isn't helping my cause much either....

Quick Reply: Spun bearing but no sign of metal in my oil?