Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Damn you plastic shifter cup! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn you plastic shifter cup! help!

Ok so i saw alot of post on ppl replacing them, but not how to, ive seen pics of peoples taken out and thier damn near fully intact...now why the hell wont mine come out! that thing is literally melted completely to the dam gear selector, any little piece i can grab on to breaks off, ive tried pushing up from the bottom... i cant even jam my little pick in there to create space between the cup and the selector

how the hell do i get this off!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed the shifter cup from the transmission. Once the shifter cup is out its easier to hit the sleeve from the bottom to take it out. Mine had some sort of glue on it that made it hard to pry out with pliers.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

remove the roll pin, remove the selector and take a 3/8 extention or punch to knock it out from the under side of it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

I got a flat head screw driver and a hammer and got under the lip and then pounded it in between the plastic and the selector. I tried getting it out with pliers but it just kept breaking like yours. I wasn't sure if it was ever going to come out. I was thinking about posting here like you did but I kept at it. Once you get it started and separated a little it should be much easier to pull out.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
I got a flat head screw driver and a hammer and got under the lip and then pounded it in between the plastic and the selector. I tried getting it out with pliers but it just kept breaking like yours. I wasn't sure if it was ever going to come out. I was thinking about posting here like you did but I kept at it. Once you get it started and separated a little it should be much easier to pull out.
i thought about takin a hammer to it lol...but i dont want to damage anything
Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesource
remove the roll pin, remove the selector and take a 3/8 extention or punch to knock it out from the under side of it.
how exactly do i do this, i briefly looked for a way to take it off but didnt see anything...(it was kinda dark and i was pissed off) the tranny is in the car btw
Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Take a small punch to the roll pin, (metal piece in center of selector) knocking it completely out, then the selector should slid right out pulling it towards the rear of the car. Then flip it and knock the cup out. Luckily mine was easy enough to get out with a screwdriver, tapping underneath the lip of the cup to get it up enough and then hitting it at an angle in a clockwise manner to rotate the cup free.

For the install of the bronze cup, I used the plastic side of a screwdriver and tapped it in with a hammer (gently)

This picture and post should help, it helped me out with my install.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...p-shifter.html

Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info man...i was swapping out shifters and since i need the car for work i had to leave the old cup in there all mangled up...ill probaly take it back off and give this a try since my brand new hurst billet plus feels sloppy...so once i pound that pin out will i be able to re-insert it from the top?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
thanks for the info man...i was swapping out shifters and since i need the car for work i had to leave the old cup in there all mangled up...ill probaly take it back off and give this a try since my brand new hurst billet plus feels sloppy...so once i pound that pin out will i be able to re-insert it from the top?
Yes.
Put something in the drain hole so that the pin does not fall into it.
The pin will come out the bottom of the offset lever and you'll be able to reinstall it easily.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

quck queston.. is the shifter supposed to sit all the way in the gear selector?? when i installed my proform shifter it feels like it doesnt go all the way down but it shifts fine..