Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about supercharger kit

I have a 2002 ls1 with a trex cam with a carb set up on a victor jr manifold. I was thinking about buying a Vortech Carbureted Centrifugal Supercharger Kit. My question is can my stock bottom end handle this kit with that big cam or will it make to much power? How much power do you think this setup would make with low boost on with stock heads?

Lastly would this kit work for me:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VOR-4GP218-038SQ/
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a number of things that you are going to have to understand before you just go bolting on a supercharger. The first major one is you have the wrong cam by a long shot. The issue will not be you making too much power. As a matter of fact you may even be pissed off for how much money you wasted and how much power you didnt make in the end. You need a boost friendly cam for starters. Second, a supercharger will do you no good if you had to run it at such low boost levels. You would be better off staying N/A at that point. The stock bottom end would probably handle around 7#'s and be very street friendly with the right cam for the job for a long time.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
There is a number of things that you are going to have to understand before you just go bolting on a supercharger. The first major one is you have the wrong cam by a long shot. The issue will not be you making too much power. As a matter of fact you may even be pissed off for how much money you wasted and how much power you didnt make in the end. You need a boost friendly cam for starters. Second, a supercharger will do you no good if you had to run it at such low boost levels. You would be better off staying N/A at that point. The stock bottom end would probably handle around 7#'s and be very street friendly with the right cam for the job for a long time.
Thanks for the info
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check in the FI section if you really want to know even more about what you should/shouldn't do. I have never had a forced induction vehicle so I am not going to be able to answer most of the questions.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

this is where reading lots of ls1tech comes in handy.... use your resources wisely!