Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob needs help locating VIN

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needs help locating VIN

I think the answer is no, but is there VIN info located anywhere on a 2000 6.0 engine and/or computer from a 2500 Silverado? Sorry, I'm a little new to this. I believe the info is logged into the computer electronically, but I don't have a way to check that right now. I am trying to get some part numbers straightened out, but as most of you know the dealer won't even turn on their parts computers unless you can give the a VIN. There are a lot of numbers on the big white sticker on my PCM box but none of them look like a VIN. Actually I think the dealer only needs the last 8 digits, but anyway, any help is appreciated. The truck itself is of course long gone.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vin is in the pcm but you need HP Tuners or EFI Live to get to it. I don't know if it's anywhere else on the motor or not.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The might be VIN numbers laser eched on the block..bell housing flange next to the oil filter, or at lease there are some numbers there..
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-K5
I think the answer is no, but is there VIN info located anywhere on a 2000 6.0 engine and/or computer from a 2500 Silverado? Sorry, I'm a little new to this. I believe the info is logged into the computer electronically, but I don't have a way to check that right now. I am trying to get some part numbers straightened out, but as most of you know the dealer won't even turn on their parts computers unless you can give the a VIN. There are a lot of numbers on the big white sticker on my PCM box but none of them look like a VIN. Actually I think the dealer only needs the last 8 digits, but anyway, any help is appreciated. The truck itself is of course long gone.
Depending on what you're looking for either go on Ebay or the Copart web site and find a vehicle that matches yours and give them that Vin. If the dealer wants a Vin to look up most parts, I'd find a new dealer, since they can look up most parts with out one.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

A good scanner will fetch the vin, the MAC mentor I use will get it no problem.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badcoup
A good scanner will fetch the vin, the MAC mentor I use will get it no problem.
Not without a bench harness to power it up, since it doesn't look like the OP has his motor in a vehicle or wired up
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My 6.0 is a matching assy w/ the transmission.
The numbers are lazered on 2 places.
The vertical pad at the bellhsg, near the oil filter.
On the back of the block, right next to the trans bellshg. The matching # is also on the bellhsg flange, directly behind the block #.

As Joe said, find another dlr...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
My 6.0 is a matching assy w/ the transmission.
The numbers are lazered on 2 places.
The vertical pad at the bellhsg, near the oil filter.
On the back of the block, right next to the trans bellshg. The matching # is also on the bellhsg flange, directly behind the block #.

As Joe said, find another dlr...
I'm going to check out the engine later tonight, so these laser etched numbers, are they the VIN or just random info??? Agree about the dealer, it's pretty tough around here though.

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Not without a bench harness to power it up, since it doesn't look like the OP has his motor in a vehicle or wired up
That's correct, I mentioned in the original post I don't have means of checking the electronic info in the computer at the moment.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part numbers are you trying to get ahold of? You might find it easier to get those here than finding out the VIN on the computer lol
Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Teching In

It has to do with transfer cases, not sure if this is the place or not. I think I have it figured out anyway. More than anything I was just hoping to get my hands on the VIN for whatever reason, but I can wait till I get into the diagnostics and write it down. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob needs help locating VIN