Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 stuck in gear + no change = perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 stuck in gear + no change = perfect?

So the other day on the way to work I was having fun and went WOT and shifted from 3rd to 4th and hit a little resistance, but barely anything... Then I realized that it was STUCK in 4th. I had to really force it out of 4th and then it didn't really want to go into any other gear but I was able to FORCE it into 2nd so that I could get going from a stop and drive home, but it was really quite stuck in 2nd now.

After getting home I realized that if I wiggled the shifter around a lot I could get it out of 2nd and into every other gear, not easily, but I could. I let the car sit for 7 days and did not touch it at all, then today I get into it to move it to the top of the parking garage to begin pulling the transmission and it is shifting into every gear without any issue as if nothing happened....what is the deal?

I originally thought I had killed a shift fork or syncro. What are your thoughts about what went wrong and why it seems to be working fine now?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
tc3
On The Tree

happened to me twice.. the first time i was able to get out of 4th... the second time had to limp it back to work. upon teardown it ended up being a 3-4 syncro slider key that broke in half and turned around and jammed... probobly why "stage 2" rebuild kits always have billit 3-4 keys...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Happened to me the other day. Jammed in 4th on the highway, pumped the clutch a bunch of times and it slid out like normal. Been just fine since then
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Launching!

happened to me before the rebuild .... car stopped & refused to come out of fourth .... had 2 of my buddies shake the tail end side ways hardly & me in the inside ... peice of cake , it slides out but had a but grinding noise in 3rd & 4th till i rebuild my trans lately !!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like I have the exact same issue with you TC3.

I spoke with D&D Performance earlier and they said that it was likely that the 3/4 syncro inserts broke off and caused the issue, but now they had fallen out and were not blocking anything anymore (my dumbed down understanding).

How long was it between when you had the original issue and when you were finally stuck in 4th?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM
tc3
On The Tree

ehh... i think it was about the same week...
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

It's definately a broken sychro key. It's pretty common occurance with stock T56's. The stampped steel keys compress when the sychro ring is moved back and forth and over time they do fail. This is the reason the transmission companies upgrade to billet keys. Look for yourself.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 what LS123 said. Also wouldn't hurt to look over the blocker rings. I had the same issue and turned out the synchro keys were slipping over the blocker ring, thereby locking up the trans.

Quick Reply: T56 stuck in gear + no change = perfect?