Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Easy question for you t56 guys

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easy question for you t56 guys

Im in the middle of pulling my pile apart for my new build, and im having a hell of a time getting the clutch cable out. Theres a plastic fitting thats totally fuckered up, which as far as I understand it, needs to be pushed into the brass fitting it sits around, at which time I can pull out the braided line from the trans. My problem is, when pushing in the plastic ring (which again is cracked and misshapen from, well, probably this) it doesnt loosen anything (i was thinking itd be like fuel lines, push it in, pop it off).

I can provide pics if itll help, but what am i doing wrong?

I also apologize if this is overly rudimentary, but its my first time dealing with these up close (when i got the trans i had my mechanic do it, cause i was smart back then)

Thanks guys
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You may need to find/borrow a fuel/AC quick disconnect tool

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-OTC6...874166&sr=1-38

The quick connect has metal fingers that the plastic ring should push out and allow the hyd line to pull out..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a set of cheapo checker fuel disconnects.. theyre the angled-handle jobs. Would that work?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

As long as they can slip over the plastic piece, it should work just fine. I got mine off by just pressing it in with a screwdriver on one side, then using my other hand to push on the other side and simultaneously pull out the braided line. It sounds like it will be a bit more difficult since yours is broken though.

You could always pull the trans out enough to where you could get the slave off of the transmission (two 10mm bolts) then have more leverage on the connector and more room to work with.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATRANSAM64
You could always pull the trans out enough to where you could get the slave off of the transmission (two 10mm bolts) then have more leverage on the connector and more room to work with.
Yep.

And a new slave (or even use of the fitting portion on your old slave) like this would prevent the problem in the future.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ket-slave.html
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Two flat blade screw drivers usually do the trick. Ford has been using this design since the late 80's and thats how we use to remove the lines back then.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd
Yep.

And a new slave (or even use of the fitting portion on your old slave) like this would prevent the problem in the future.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ket-slave.html

To the OP, I have one of these style slave cylinders brand new, never used with TO bearing and TICK speedbleeder if you want it. My monster 3 clutch I purchased from a member here came with a GM slave, TO bearing and speedbleeder, so I no longer need it. PM me if interested.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

pm on its way.. i tried with the fuel line tool and had 0 luck..

looks like im gonna have to pull my trans, disconnect the slave, then drop the k member. what a bitch, haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easy question for you t56 guys