Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1 Jaguar XJ6 runs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My LS1 Jaguar XJ6 runs!

I've been working on this car about one weekend every 6-8 weeks for the past 6 years, and I finally started the engine this week.

The car has a low-compression Corvette LS1 w/drive by wire throttle body, F-body accessories, 4L80E transmission, truck harness and PCM, and a 2008 Impala fuse box. I spent the last few months digging up wiring schematic for a about 5 different cars to get everything put together properly. So far the Impala fuse box (which can control the 5.3L V8) seems to be doing everything right.

The car has good oil pressure and seems to be idling strong. I couldn't run it too long because there is little/no fluid in the transmission. I have to get the cooler lines on before I can let it run more than a few seconds.

Here are some highlight photos:

There's still a lot of work to do, but I expect to have it moving itself around the shop by the next time I go back to work on it. (I'm tired of pushing it around the garage.)

Check out my website for more photos and a video of the first startup: http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm
Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! You have a nice car there!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Looks good. By the low compression and head studs are planning on boosting it?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys.

From the outset I wanted to build a turbo setup, but this whole swap has been a lot more than I bargained for, and I am going to be happy just to get it on the road.

Once I have the bugs worked out, I would like to buy a Cadillac CTS-V TVS1900 supercharger setup. I think I have the hood clearance and I am confident that I can wire it up, but I have to wait for one of the aftermarket suppliers to come out with a square port head for small-bore LS1 engines. Otherwise, I don't think I can mount the CTS-V supercharger.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on getting the project running. I remembered you working on it for a while but I didn't realize it had been six years!

Hopefully you will be on the road soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks!

I think I am going to have to take the transmission out and bang on the trans tunnel to make some room for the big round electrical connector that goes on the side of the transmission. There's not enough room to put it on. I don't think there's even enough room to drop the transmission put it on, and then put the transmission back up. It's pretty tight.

After that, it should be all downhill.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doesnt Mast Motorsports make rectangular port heads for small bore blocks?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Doesnt Mast Motorsports make rectangular port heads for small bore blocks?
Yea, but they cost a fortune... something like $3,500 for an assembled set. They look like really good heads, but just not worth it for this car. I'll wait for GMPP, Edelbrock, etc to come out with a cheaper and less aggressive set.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastKat
Yea, but they cost a fortune... something like $3,500 for an assembled set. They look like really good heads, but just not worth it for this car. I'll wait for GMPP, Edelbrock, etc to come out with a cheaper and less aggressive set.
Ahh, I wasnt thinkin bout that.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats definitely a bunch of wiring. Great job man i can only imagine the headache.

Gonna agree on the tvs/heads. Itd be cheaper to punch out and rebuild the block around some stock l92/ls3 heads and bolt the ls9/lsa charger on that (but again, the 'charger itself isnt cheap, and youre talking a couple grand in parts to swap/rebuilf).

Would be ****** nutty with that setup, but thisll still haul compared to stock
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FastKat
Just wanted to let you know we've lowered all our prices on cylinder heads. You can now pick up a set of LS3 12 Degree Small Bore CNC Assembled p/n 510-301, that should work great for your application for $2599.98!

Quick Reply: My LS1 Jaguar XJ6 runs!