LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pulling motor from top!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking pulling motor from top!

im pulling it from top and would like to know what accessories need to come off so its easier to take out and any thing else.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it from the bottom.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

You'll never want to pull it out the top again.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Like Joe said, It's much easier from the bottom.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Agreed, if I pull mine again it will be out the bottom. I pulled mine out the top once, it is pretty tricky getting it out the top with the cowl on these cars, its a tight fit.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Rockstar

It should be obvious, the bottom is the way to go. Pulling it from the top is what you do with mod motors and vehicles with engine bay clearance.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO, bottom is the only way to go. I would never do it any other way again...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Pull radiator and fans. Acces bracket can be taken off, leave AC comp in car no need to discharge. Remove everything off the front including crank pulley. Remove headers or exhaust manifolds. You will have to rotate engine and lift at the same time! Happy Hooker works great. If I had a lift I would drop it out bottom, but I have removed several out the top at home! I enjoy working on my car so if it takes a little longer out top BIG DEAL
Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant see it being any easier from the bottom. i dont care to have a car that high in the air and working on it myself, maybe with a lift..

took me and another guy like 5 hrs and we went to eat in the process, stopped for a few breaks,definetly wasnt rushing.. also changed the trans fluid and filter in the process..
that was pretty much from pulling the engine off the stand to driving the car down the road..

did it with the hood still on the car..

engine leveler would probably make it alot easier..

pretty much like fashooter said, i left the balancer hub on, i had a cutoff wheel handy and cut a small notch in the radiator support.. it was about 6inches long and 1/2" deep..
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

at least one of you knows why i am doing it from top. i cant fit it in my garage and i have no lift. and im tired of people saying bottom. you guys can go head and wrap a chain around it and lift it with a hoist. i wont do that and the question wasnt whats the easiest way to get it out! i just simply want to know what needsto come off before i pull it out and run into problems
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

i always pull mine from the top with the hood on the car and everything.

Remove radiator fans.
dissconnect exhaust.
i put on jack stands up front for a better angle once the motor is ready.
electrical harness
drain all fluids
remove intake manifold and fuel rail/injectors.
remove front bracket .

If you do it out the bottom is something good if you have a lift the car can sit on untill your ready to go. having the car jacked up 3 feet or more is not to bright in the safty department. more or less work depends on how fast you can do it and how many times you have. i have done it both ways way to many times and i perfer the top.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I went through this last weekend. Pulled out the top with the trans attached. Comming out wasn't bad, going in was a pain in the butt. I pulled the accessories off the front. Had the manifolds and intake on still. Pulling the intake off would give a lot more room (the FPR was hitting, EGR was removed). Having done it this way once...next time it's comming out the bottom.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Rockstar

Honestly, any of you guys who have never dropped it out the bottom, and have negative attitudes towards it for whatever reason (safety, time, difficulty), should really help someone do it or try it at least once.
From there you might just see the reason why everyone does it that way with these cars.
It's just one of those things that goes with these cars, just like the 10 bolt.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Do it from the bottom.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

You'll never want to pull it out the top again.
Out the bottom was easier but I regret putting it back in from the bottom.

I bought a new kmember which I could back in (no problems) with the motor out to make the car into a roller......

But now when I put the motor back in through the bottom I couldn't get the back two kmember bolts to go in I was eventually able to get 5 out of 6 back in and tow it home...... even after I had undone both motor mounts and lifted the engine with the hoist. I guess my next move is loosening the shock and A arm on that side to get the 6th kmember bolt in.

Oh and getting the shock studs to go back in was a PITA too.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
at least one of you knows why i am doing it from top. i cant fit it in my garage and i have no lift. and im tired of people saying bottom. you guys can go head and wrap a chain around it and lift it with a hoist. i wont do that and the question wasnt whats the easiest way to get it out! i just simply want to know what needsto come off before i pull it out and run into problems
you don't have to be tired about it, we're trying to help and we're not being hostile, just sharing our experience. Even with no garage and in the driveway, you can use the pick to lift the front and and just roll out everything from underneath, at some point, I think I've seen pics of a guy doing exactly that in his driveway so it's possible. good luck either way you do it, it's time consuming and a lot of work.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

it's not that i am negitive about doing it from the bottom. Maybe coming out is a little easier, but like stated before going back in is another fieat in itself. plus bleeding the brakes removing the shocks ,k member and all the added work that is unessary just to remove a engine. going from the top is the simple way for removal and installation. you need a hoist and simple hand tools and some jack stands. If othere think its easy to remove and install from the bottom then more power to you but im sure i could remove and install faster from the top without unessary work. just have the intake off and it makes it way to easy.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine throught the top. Car was on the ground and hood was still on but the engine has to be bare and the radiator removed as well as the trans. I did mine with a engine lift. I did not go out the bottom because I did not have the room for the entire front end plus all the engine crap in my garage. plus I was not worried about turn around. It was one of those projects that I want to do slowly.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95z28onjuice
it's not that i am negitive about doing it from the bottom. Maybe coming out is a little easier, but like stated before going back in is another fieat in itself. plus bleeding the brakes removing the shocks ,k member and all the added work that is unessary just to remove a engine. going from the top is the simple way for removal and installation. you need a hoist and simple hand tools and some jack stands. If othere think its easy to remove and install from the bottom then more power to you but im sure i could remove and install faster from the top without unessary work. just have the intake off and it makes it way to easy.
Removing it from the top has its drawbacks as well.

Out the bottom no need to remove:

Headers/manifolds
Intake
Transmission
Water pump
Radiator
Condenser/compressor/any AC components
Hood
Bumper
Throttle Body (other than cables of course)
Opti
Balancer

And so on. I'm sure some people have removed the engine from the top with some of the above components, but I doubt all :p

Also, you don't need any special tools (other than for what you'd need for going out/in the top) either.

All I used was:

Hoist/crane
Chain (for engine)
Tow strap (to lift the car)
Jackstands
Lincoln log stacks of wood under the jackstands
Dolly
Ramps (under the back wheels)
A couple of jacks

and ratchets/wrenches/etc.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by merim123
you don't have to be tired about it, we're trying to help and we're not being hostile, just sharing our experience. Even with no garage and in the driveway, you can use the pick to lift the front and and just roll out everything from underneath, at some point, I think I've seen pics of a girl doing exactly that in her driveway so it's possible. good luck either way you do it, it's time consuming and a lot of work.
Fixed :p

Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only thing that wasnt on my engine when we put it in from the top was the ac compressor..
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I Jsut Did this Saturday with my Trans Am. Just Pulled the Hood Took the Intake, all accessories, Alternator PS Pump Unbolted the headers pulled the plugs out Water pump Radiator and Condensor. took about 3 hours by myself Not too bad. Just need to find a Machine Shop that can do it and wont take a life time. seems like there all Busy as hell around here.

Quick Reply: pulling motor from top!