Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull engine + trans or engine only

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Pull engine + trans or engine only

I'm going to put an LY6 in my Nova which currently has a 350/TH400. I plan on using the TH400 with the LY6. I haven't pulled the old combo out and I'm drying to decide: should I leave the tranny in the car or pull it with the engine? I can't decide if it will be easier or more difficult to mate the new engine and trans together and stab them together or just drop in the new engine and mate them in the car. The LY6 will be set forward of the current 350 so there should be some room to bring it forward once the engine is mounted if these are done separately.

Any input is apprecaited!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In my opinion...
I would pull the engine and trans as a unit, mate the new engine to the trans on the floor and place them in their new home as a unit.

My logic is this: as a conversion using a Gen I / II transmission there are a few fitment items (flywheel, spacer) to consider and why try to get them right under the car when you don't have to? The engine is moving in the engine bay which changes the location of the trans - installing them as a unit eliminates trying to support the trans without the engine.

If this wasn't a conversion my decision would be the opposite.

My next question is why move the engine forward?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did mine in my 72 chevelle but I left the tranny in because I wanted the engine to end up in the same spot. I had no issues with the mating of the flywheel to the tranny so I'm not sure what the concern was in the previous post. the trick is take the flexplate off the engine, put the spacer in the middle of it and put it up against the tq converter. See how much you need to elongate the holes by. drill them out, then put it back up against it to check. then bolt it up to the crank and put the engine in and bolt everything together and viola! done!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Together as a unit installed from the bottom on my 92 Firebird. Did the same for a friends 79 Firebird LT1 swap except he did the whole front subframe as a unit instead of just the K-member like I did
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say mate on floor, I think its easier. Its kind of like a sex swing, not everyone is cut out to mate while hanging.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If I decide to mate the engine and trans in the car, I will first put the torque converter against the engine to make sure it will bolt up properly. I'm using the TCI flexplate and spacer. The spacer presses into the back of the crank, so the only way to really see if it will line up is to put the TC against the engine with the flexplate and spacer installed.

One problem of course with pulling the engine and tranny together is clearance around everything and swinging all that weight from the hoist. I prefer to maneuver just the engine. I've done it this way a few times with the smallblock, I'm just wondering if there's a good reason to not to do it with the LSX