Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades now or later or both?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrades now or later or both?

Hello everyone, looking for some opinions on possible upgrade paths for my 41k mile 2001 WS6 (currently lid & ported TB is the only performance mod). I am planning/hoping to have a significant increase in expendable cash soon which I hope to be able to turn my car into the car I've always wanted it to be. This car will be a 99% street driven car, and needs to be able to be daily driven although I hope to not HAVE to DD it. Eventually I want to go with a 427 block and shoot for somewhere towards the upper end of 5-600 RWHP NA. I realize that will require a LOT of money, but I would like some feedback on how I plan to spend the money between now and then.

Here are the upgrades I plan on doing regardless of the engine upgrade path:

MWC 9"
Koni SA shocks
T56 Level 2 Rebuild
RPS Street Twin Lite Clutch
Kooks Headers
True Dual OTA or 4" Flowmaster Merge Y-pipe setup w/ Borla XR1 muffler(s)

Now on to the real reason this is posted in the Internal Engine section, the engine mods. The way I see it is I can either just shell out the $$ up front and have the engine I want built and just replace my current stock LS1 with my built engine OR shell out significantly less $ initially and get a decent H/C package (something like TSP's 2.5 Heads and 224 or 228 Cam) to replace my stock stuff and get a better feel for what I really like before plunking down a ton of cash on a custom built motor.

I'm currently leaning towards the second option because it would require less up front cash (~$3.5k installed is my estimate, is this a decent estimate including labor?) while giving more immediate results to enjoy while my motor is built a few months down the line as well as increasing the resale value of my motor when I pull it out.

I'm hoping that I can get ~2-3k for my LS1 longblock with the PRC Stg 2.5 heads, 224/228 cam, LS6 oil pump, etc. Is that a reasonable expectation?

Can anyone offer a critique of this plan? Am I not accounting for anything specific? I know a lot of you would probably recommend installing everything myself, and I wish that was an option, but I have neither the time nor space nor resources to pull that off at the moment. Thanks for all of the advice/information that I am sure will be coming.

Quick Reply: Upgrades now or later or both?