Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Tube Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steam Tube Location

Hello,

I am trying to track down some overheating issues and I wanted to start with this. It might not make any difference...but I want to make sure the way I have this will work OK. I have the steam tubes circulating water back into the top of the waterpump and not back to the radiator as I have an aftermarket radiator.

Does this sound OK? I think it is circulating into the pump which ships it to the radiator...so i don't really think it matters if it plumbed directly in the radiator. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thats not your issue. Swap cars have been drilling and tapping a port on the WP for years

Check the basics. Do you have atleast one small hole in your T-stat to prevent air lock. Is your air dam intact. Coolant level correct. etc
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. I didn't think it would matter - but just wanted to make sure.

Yes, air dam on lower radiator support intact. Had a drilled 160° thermostat, took it out and put in a washer that had a 5/8" hole in in...helped a little...took it completely out and it didn't change it at all. Has aftermarket radiator and shrouded 16" puller fan.

I have done all of the basics...narrowed it down to the radiator being junk and clogged, Waterpump bad, or belt/tensioner setup is allowing it to slip.

It only heats up when it is driving...never tries to heat up at idle.