LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Rant

Here is my rant; lack of respect. I go to alot of different car shows and meets to only receive the left hand of fellowship! The F body guys dismiss you and the mustang guys ignore you. I have had guys just turn their heads and sneer when I tell them what type of car I own. And that’s after listening to them go on and on about their car, all their current mods, their future mods and how fast their cars are. But I also have to confess that the only guys that tend to show any interest in my car are the young tuners that are modding their way up the ladder. I have found that if you give them some respect in what they are trying to do to their cars then they will give some respect back.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

We're a niche market. Most of the time, the only respect we get is from others in similar situations. Just like you prefer the tuners, they prefer you because you see each other in the other's situation.

That being said, the next time a mustang owner talks about how bad his car is, race him. Guarantee you you'll get some respect there.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the LS4 cars for what they are, and I'm a F-body guy (and GTO). While I'd never purchase one to modify, I can understand why you [owners] would want to. I don't sneer at them -- I always take a look
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 707chance
Here is my rant; lack of respect. I go to alot of different car shows and meets to only receive the left hand of fellowship! The F body guys dismiss you and the mustang guys ignore you. I have had guys just turn their heads and sneer when I tell them what type of car I own. And that’s after listening to them go on and on about their car, all their current mods, their future mods and how fast their cars are. But I also have to confess that the only guys that tend to show any interest in my car are the young tuners that are modding their way up the ladder. I have found that if you give them some respect in what they are trying to do to their cars then they will give some respect back.
Our cars are the red-headed step-children of the "performance car" world. We don't really fit in the F-body/LS2 GTO world, as we're FWD, not very mod-able and are down on cubes. In short, we're just not as fast as the other guys, nor is it easy for us to go faster. We're certainly better than the turbo-4 guys in the Cobalt and HHR SS's, however they are more mod-able.

The reality is, you don't buy an LS4 car if you're looking for respect. You buy one because you want comfort and performance in a subtle package. GM has sold hundreds of thousands of these cars in rental grade LS and LT trim (GT for the Grand Prix guys) and most people can't tell the difference, hence the lack of respect.

If you're looking for respect, better to buy an F-car, Vette, or GTO and throw some mods at it.

As for me, I'm comfortable knowing that I can keep up with or beat 90% of the cars on the road. I don't really care what Joe Blow from Idaho things because he's probably ignorant anyway. If I want to prove a point, I can always bring out the Grand National and show the brand x'ers what it's really like to go fast.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of numbers does your GN put down?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
What kind of numbers does your GN put down?
It's run 11.60's @ 117 with a 1.87 60-foot. That was at 22 PSI with 24* of timing and probably way too much alcohol.

The dyno numbers in my sig where after I got the Alky and AFR dialed in. so it should run faster. The problem is, they've closed most of the nearby tracks so it's about 70 miles to the closest one. Not sure when I'll get a new timeslip!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 707chance
I have no problem with the F-body's I always take them to school at car shows
You just need to be as proud of your car as they are about there's. You need to draw attention to your car color, chrome, anything in you display that will draw attention that's the key.
Take a look at what all I have in my display to draw attention.
You will get noticed.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you not respect those pics. OMG, what a nice car!

I love F-Bodies but we have less numbers than those cars and can be made just as fast. The people who will not listen back are not the type of friends that I would want anyway. I am sure most of us feel like that.

-Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need some LED tails Mel....Or were you taking the almost stock approach?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn what a nice car!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Guys!! Remember be proud and show it.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Hate to be an ***, but who the hell cares? It's your car. If you like driving it, then drive the **** out of it and enjoy it. If you care what other people think, then be a sheep and buy one of the above cars.

That being said, I do always feel awkward when going to shows/cruises because I am not cool enough and don't live up to the fbody/gto/vette standard. Such is life, oh well.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see it as a family car. If it runs the times and makes the power it gets respect.

Faster the car the more props it will get around my neck of the woods. If they made the monte in rwd i would be all over it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of old school Monte and Grand Prix owners don't like the front wheel drive cars. I think that's a big part of it. Personally, I'm looking at a new daily driver, and a GXP is starting to look really good. I've got a couple "fun" cars, so I want something comfortable and good for road trips. I've been looking at econoboxes, but they're hopelessly boring. Something like a Caddy CTS-V, GTO, or G8 is much more expensive and the mileage sucks. A GXP seems to be a real nice sweet spot of good performance, decent economy, and won't break the bank.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Saturn5
A lot of old school Monte and Grand Prix owners don't like the front wheel drive cars. I think that's a big part of it. Personally, I'm looking at a new daily driver, and a GXP is starting to look really good. I've got a couple "fun" cars, so I want something comfortable and good for road trips. I've been looking at econoboxes, but they're hopelessly boring. Something like a Caddy CTS-V, GTO, or G8 is much more expensive and the mileage sucks. A GXP seems to be a real nice sweet spot of good performance, decent economy, and won't break the bank.
To me the LS4 cars are in the same league and the passat A4 and CTS
all of which I like more. and the german cars also get WAY better gas mileage with the right options
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
To me the LS4 cars are in the same league and the passat A4 and CTS
all of which I like more. and the german cars also get WAY better gas mileage with the right options
You must not know much about these cars then.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mels SS
What do I not know?

FWD. wrongly mounted V8. DOD. heavy. Comfortable. No aftermarket.

If I were to get a FWD car I would get a turbo I4. At least then you can manage the boost to keep traction since it has a lack of tq.

Like I said before. I like the Monte design but ANY FWD car is not a good platform for drag racing when compared to RWD or AWD.

Yours is clean but lets see it do a donut without trays or ebrake. Family cars. Faster than most family cars is what they resemble
Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mels SS
exactly what i was thinking..
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
What do I not know?

FWD. wrongly mounted V8. DOD. heavy. Comfortable. No aftermarket.

If I were to get a FWD car I would get a turbo I4. At least then you can manage the boost to keep traction since it has a lack of tq.

Like I said before. I like the Monte design but ANY FWD car is not a good platform for drag racing when compared to RWD or AWD.

Yours is clean but lets see it do a donut without trays or ebrake. Family cars. Faster than most family cars is what they resemble
ok.. FWD> gets good traction in the snow,
and from a 20 to 100 no slip and will pull on ANY other FWD!
DOD can be removed..
As far as aftermarket there wasnt aftermarket before.. but now isnt to bad.with the amount of websites and local vendor and the supply and demand theres a decent amount..at least to keep our hands busy..
As for heavy.. i say my impala is comfortable to be my and many others DD's and when compared to GTO's,Caddy's and even some vette's there not bad ..
And for Drag racing ? this is a DD so not to intrested in all that. i do like having my fun on my way to and from work and all but not a drag car by any means.. i do like to prove people wrong and leave them with that stupid look on there face ..lol
i know my car gets real light in the back from like 40 and up.. do wish it was a little more balanced but not to bad as far as handling goes.

bottom line. i see it like my FWD 4 DR can keep up with any of the ricers and even STI's and Evos.. (at least the evo 8s cause i left a couple in my rearview) but at the end of the day its exactly that a DD.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

He's right guys. Our inability to lose traction resulting in violent oversteer is unacceptable. Never mind the fact that I run away from F-bodies in the curves and we're not even starting the drag racing argument in here.

Are we the best platform? No. Are we incapable? No.