Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 ???

Hey guys I just picked up a couple of T56 transmissions (LS1 style) for my 71 Chevelle. One of them is completely disassembled but other wise all there and the other one is complete and assembled.

The plan is to use the empty on for mock up and then swap in the complete in for a little bit. Then rebuild the one that is all ready torn down with viper internals. Then swap them out and sell the other one.

The questions are:
1. The guy said he was have trouble getting the assembled one to go into gear when power shifting, but he also said when he pulled the trans out the clutch was shot. Do you think this could have been the whole problem?
2. Is the hurst shifter any good?
3. Is there anything in particular I need to do to put this behind a LQ4 (its a 01 so it has the right crank)?
4. Will the viper rebuild be sufficient for 500-600 crank hp?
5. What clutch for a reasonable price would you recommend? I'm not trying to start a which oil is better type argument here, so if you could just say what clutch you are using/or have used and what you liked/disliked about it thanks. And please no bashing people for their opinions that's not what the thread is about.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by 71ANTICARB; 08-31-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Sure it's possible but who cares at this point since you're going to rebuild one. Spending money on someone elses unproven Dx is a crapshoot.
4. Are you going to be abusing it? If so, do the viper mainshaft. Else, wait until the stock one breaks.
JMNVFHO
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viper rebuild will be plenty strong.