Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Leak

Hello all,

I recently got my 370 put together by a repuatable builder. He assembled the entire motor with the timing covers and oil pan, heads, etc. Well, I have an oil leak coming from the front seal. I installed my own ATI balancer...Is it possible to ruin the seal when installing the balancer? Is it possible to fix this leak without removing the ATI which is going to be a royal PITA? Does the seal need to be replaced? Just looking for some insight. I just read the balancer has to go on dry...I am positive I didn't put any lubricant on the OD of balancer hub. It also looks like the rear main leaks...but it's hard to tell - all of the oil could be running from the front and to the back of the pan and then getting slung everywhere making it look like the rear is leaking.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the front cover comes off it's best to install the balancer with the cover bolts loose. That way the front seal can center itself (find it's home) on the balancer.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your oil leaks, I know how it feels, I've been there.

I found it helpful to hand clean the oil pan and surrounding areas.

After that I would just let the motor run up to operating temperature without driving it so oil doesn't blow all over the place. Once I did that I was able to isolate my leaks.

1.) I had oil leaks from dropping the oil pan for a new oil pump swap.
a.) Put on a new oil pan gasket, problem solved.

2.) Had front seal leakage from removing front cover for a cam swap.
a.) Installed a new seal, problem solved.

When installing the front timing cover, there is actually a special Kent Moore tool that centers the timing cover.

I found that a 34mm socket fit over the crank snout and in between the front crank seal, centered the timing cover pretty good.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you guys for the help. So bearcatt - when you had to replace the seal, I am assuming you had to remove the balancer?

I am wondering if I can loose the timing cover and just slide it forward and then reposition to see if that works? Sorry...I can't remember how exactly all that went together. Just would hate to remove balancer ... I hear ATI's are not fun.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are going through all the trouble to access the timing cover, replacing the seal might provide the best success.

Ive never removed an ATI balancer, with the right tools the job might be easier.
http://www.jegs.com/i/ATI/085/918999/10002/-1

Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

why would you not put anyting on the seal before installing the damper? When I installed my ATI I put a little oil on the damper hub.

If you want to do the job right you really need one of these kits:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ice-tools.html

Quick Reply: Oil Leak