Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up an 02' Z06 85MM MAF, already have a tune. How to re-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up an 02' Z06 85MM MAF, already have a tune. How to re-tune?

So I picked up an 85MM MAF from an 02 Z06 for about $40, I know people say to run stock MAF's 99% of the time, but this is an OEM MAF, and it was only $40!..

So, I already have a tune for my car for the cam. As far as tuning goes, is it something that needs to go through a complete new tuning process, or is it something that can be just tweaked adding new formulas/tables or whatnot for the new MAF?

I'm curious because if it's an easy tweak, I'll get it done soon. If it's a whole new tune, I'll wait til a few more mods and get a whole new tune done.. I wanted this because I'm getting my TB ported soon, and I have an FTP lid that fits an 85MM MAF, I'm currently using a silicone adapter for stock MAF.. Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone got experience tuning these?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its super easy. Shouldnt take more than an hour. You tell you tune to run off the maf only (no VE). THis is simply changing one number in the tune, where the air fuel is calulated using the MAF only. Change that number from 4000RPM to 200RPM so it is always using the MAF.

THen log your wideband A/F and your PCMs commanded A/F. A simple A/F ratio error PID that records the percentage difference between your actualwideband A/F ratio and the A/F ratio your PCM is trying to get.

Drive for a bit, while logging the difference of commanded a/f vs actual a/f. Then simply multiply the error recorded to the MAF table. So if one cell has 50 for a number and your a/f error was 10%, you take 50 and add 10%, so that cell would become 55.

Do that a few times until your commanded a/f and your widebands a/f match. Its a lot wordier to type out like this. Its really not that hard at all once youve done it a time or two.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok well I'm no tuner lol, so I won't be doing any of this. Was just curious whether or not I should wait for more mods to do another big tune, unless the MAF job was very simple... I guess I'll call a local tune shop tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Its super easy. Shouldnt take more than an hour. You tell you tune to run off the maf only (no VE). THis is simply changing one number in the tune, where the air fuel is calulated using the MAF only. Change that number from 4000RPM to 200RPM so it is always using the MAF.

THen log your wideband A/F and your PCMs commanded A/F. A simple A/F ratio error PID that records the percentage difference between your actualwideband A/F ratio and the A/F ratio your PCM is trying to get.

Drive for a bit, while logging the difference of commanded a/f vs actual a/f. Then simply multiply the error recorded to the MAF table. So if one cell has 50 for a number and your a/f error was 10%, you take 50 and add 10%, so that cell would become 55.

Do that a few times until your commanded a/f and your widebands a/f match. Its a lot wordier to type out like this. Its really not that hard at all once youve done it a time or two.

That works if he wasn't the lucky recipient of an IFR tune... I still get cars that were hack-tuned this way weekly.