Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 trans am ls1/ls2 swap, auto/t56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am ls1/ls2 swap, auto/t56 swap

i just purchased a LS2 and T56 out of a 06 GTO, and i am going to be swaping it into my 98 WS6. I do not have a computer or wiring harnes from the GTO and i am just wondering what all am i going to have to swap out and convert? Can i use the computer and harnes from the LS1, and can i re use all of the sensors and brackets because the LS2 came with none. I am curently in Iraq so i have not visual of how the two differ. So if anyone has any information about what i am going to be getting into please let me know
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a stroked ls2 into my 99 trans am and the wiring harness and brackets all swapped over. However, the knock sensors mount on the outside of the block on the ls2, not in the valley like on the ls1. I do not know about the transmission, but you can do a search on here and it should give you the info you need. The transmission will be the more difficult part of the swap.

EDIT: the LS2 throttle body is not cable driven. You will probably want a cable driven throttle body.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

thanks for that info. I will do some searching about the transmission. I'm hoping i can still use the same ECM for the trans. I'm prob going to go with the fast intake and throttle body so that should fix the cable problem. How much HP did you gain by stroking it? Im trying to get mine to 400 rwhp but not sure the best route
Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by codyws6
thanks for that info. I will do some searching about the transmission. I'm hoping i can still use the same ECM for the trans. I'm prob going to go with the fast intake and throttle body so that should fix the cable problem. How much HP did you gain by stroking it? Im trying to get mine to 400 rwhp but not sure the best route
For the transmission, im not completely sure on how to word it correctly but i believe you will need your ECM flashed to a Manual Trans. setting since your going from Auto To Manual transmissions. Check the Automatic Transmissions section on this site, and search for Auto to Manual Trans or something like that. You will come across a few threads about this and how its been done and whats needed.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyws6
How much HP did you gain by stroking it? Im trying to get mine to 400 rwhp but not sure the best route
I bought a stroked short block, did heads, cam, intake, throttle body, built 4l60e, 12 bolt rear, full exhaust, full suspension, and brakes all at the same time, so I dont know how much I gained from stroking. It made 520 to the wheels.

I wouldnt bother getting a new rotating assembly if your goal is 400 rwhp. Take a good look around the gen iv internal and external engine sections and the dyno results section for some ideas. You need to be comfortable with your decision. If you cant make up your mind PM me, I may be able to give you some advice.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

i dont think the GTO trans will work. as far as i know the shifter location will only work in the goats and cts v's. maybe someone else knows differently. good luck though.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GTO trans should work fine. All you have to do is replace the "shifter cup" on the trans to an f-body style on so it re-aligns the shifter in the correct location. Also I believe you may have to use the ls2 starter if you keep the gto's bellhousing.

Quick Reply: 98 trans am ls1/ls2 swap, auto/t56 swap