PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How About a Sticky or Thread Explaining the Purpose of Each Edit Table?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How About a Sticky or Thread Explaining the Purpose of Each Edit Table?

What does everybody think about a sticky or thread explaining each LS1 Edit Table for the new guys? I know I would have loved to have seen something like that. Something like this:

PE vs. RPM: The amount of fuel added on to the base fuel table under power enrichment situations versus RPM. To acheive desired air fuel ratio, take your current air fuel ratio and divide it by your desired ratio, then multiply the table by the resulting percentage for each area of RPM you need to change.

Then take the best explaination for eachtable and put them in a thread. What do you guys think? I know there are things that I'm not really sure what they exactly do, like CAT Test, count to pass. Hopefully the thread would end up putting everybody's knowledge together for a real LS1 Edit user's guide.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sbrown99TA
What does everybody think about a sticky or thread explaining each LS1 Edit Table for the new guys? I know I would have loved to have seen something like that. Something like this:
How about all the purchases of LS1Edit write to them and demand a decent ****** manual!!!.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
How about all the purchases of LS1Edit write to them and demand a decent ****** manual!!!.
No ****
Old 01-25-2004, 05:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=449466
Old 01-25-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this. "ls1 edit for dummys"
Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

One of the links there to the "VetteGuru", this is the guy who wants money for copying other peoples work onto he's website!..
I think "Guru" is another term for 'CTRL-C, CTRL-V'.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
Complete manual would increase LS1Edit/Carputing's liability. Increased liability equals increased consumer cost of product. FWIW.

I really like the "sticky" idea for the novice.
joel
Old 01-27-2004, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah a manual would be nice. At least explaining what some of the tables do. Like "Knock Burst" and that whole knock area. And have a explanation on the best way to tune the A/F ratio. Some use the MAF table, which i did and got bad results, and others use the IFR table to fine tune the LTFT's. I've had better luck with using this method. But if you read the file that Carputing downloads with the edit program it says not to change the IFR table unless you change the injector size. And it says not to touch the MAF table unless you change the MAF..lol. So for the beginner they would pull their hair out trying to figure out what Carputing recommends for fine tuning the base A/F ratio. At least the WOT tuning is simple enough..lol. You think Carputing would have a table similar to PE vs. RPM to tune the base. Kind of like a screen that has a table to lean or richen up the base fuel in 500 rpm increments. I've seen people touching the VE table. I myself haven't tried that table yet. But i know that table is usually for speed/density setups. So what is the best way to tune for base A/F? I know i've had good luck with the IFR table and the timing tables. I also think Carputing needs to explain the best way for idle quality. Instead of jumping from the timing section to the IAC sections. Just have a page setup for just idle quality. Kind of like the new Accel/DFI has. I'm hoping TunerCat makes their tables alittle more straight forward
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Launching!

And I'm sure the debates on the explinations of each table will be VERY informative!
I think I'd learn a ton just hearing you guys duke it out
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

This is a great idea and the best way for it to happen is if NoGo writes it without everybodys 2 cents. What he says goes. No if's and's or but's. Just my 2 cents!!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, you guys do understand the table layouts weren't created by Carputing right? The tables were created by GENERAL MOTORS LS1edit is just a nice interface to the tables, they didn't choose how they're laid out or what their scale is, or any of that jazz. We're working with what GM designed into the box -- we just have the ability to change the numbers in the squares.

That said, some tables can definitely be obscure as to their purpose. This isn't the fault of Carputing, because they didn't create them. This tool isn't the Macintosh of tuning. If you want that, get a product that hides the details from you (Hypertech, Diablo). With a more advanced tuning tool comes a (MUCH) higher learning curve. A lot of learning what each table does is learning how it relates to how the engine operates -- which isn't the fault of the tool or tool docs, really. Its kinda like asking for detailed instructions to be included in the package with a screwdriver so you can know how to tune a carburetor Some of the things in there are very confusing, because of how GM wrote the underlying operating system code. What's worse is we don't have access to the original source code to look and see either. So while we may have the tables and data, nobody (save for the original coders @ GM) really knows 100% how they're interpreted and used. For example, the IAC running airflow and IAC park position tables. Changing values in either will directly affect idle -- so they're definitely related, but knowing exactly how is yet a mystery. Most folks simply scale them both up in unison and go about their business Another area of speculation is the Secondary VE table. I've heard several conflicting opinions of when/how its actually used. People STILL argue about how/when the Main VE table is used (and yes, it DOES affect closed-loop fueling).

So moving on, I FULLY support REAL-WORLD findings on what some of the more obscure tables have been found to do... I've spent countless numbers of hours in controlled "experiments" trying to figure some of them out, as have some other folks -- but that comes with the territory. Sure beats the tuning methods of yesteryear where I was hand hex-editing raw binary files and burning them back to a J3 adaptor EPROM for my Mustang
Old 01-27-2004, 03:12 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Well written Brains.

Worst case, I'd like to see a sticky thread at the top. Instead of trying to sticky every good informative thread, use it to post links to those threads. Have sections for IDLE, PE, TIMING, etc.. so its easy to sort through. That shouldn't take much effort. After people post a link to what they think is a good thread, an Admin / Mod could add it to the top post, and purge out all the replies.

Also rename the link to the thread to a more meaningful title. It seems that most of the good threads start out with a title like "car won't start after adjusting xxx"
Old 01-27-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Brains is right on. If you look at the Slow Car glossary the items that are not well explained are still up for question and debate. Maybe somebdy might like to start this by selecting from Slow Car those questionable areas for discussion. Brains' example of Idle/idle air/ tables being interelated is perfect. We know they are, but after the initial % changes it's trial and error to get close to good idle and running. There are some things that many know that make tuning them a little easier. That would be a start.