Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle Down Below after 1st time trial run

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattle Down Below after 1st time trial run

Had a question and hope all can help prior to opening up the bottom end. I was attending the PSN in Dallas this past June and on race day my 1st time trial with my current set up (100 shot) left the line wheels up and went to shift from 1st to 2nd and missed the shift, hit rev limiter and something came loose and was rattling around? I emmidiately shut it down and coasted the rest of the way down the track on into the pits. I just loaded it up on the trailer and brought it on home. After getting it home i removed the valve covers and all the valve train still in tack. Drained the oil and there was plenty of metal in the oil. Put fresh oil in and started it up and have not heard alot of knock or rattle as i didn't let it get up to operating temp. I have good oil pressure. I knew i had several car shows remaining in the show season and needed to finish them, which i did only to run the car long enough to get it off the trailer and pull car to where i show it. I'm fixing to pull oil pan to see what actually has happened next week. Any thoughts to what i might find? I've heard the #8 rod is famous for showing itself. My engine only has 32K on it, and i've only sprayed 100 3-4 times tops.....HELP
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much metal in the oil? If it's a significant amount then the easiest guess would be to say one or a few main bearings bit the dust. But if it were me I would pull the rockers and inspect the bearings in them and the push rods while your there since you over revved. If all that is good then I'd pull the pan like you stated and see if there might be something left in it that might can give you an indication as to where to look. If nothing there, then I'd pull the last main cap and look at the bearing. Depending on the amount of shavings in the oil you should see something there. Be sure to look over everything carefully as you go, so you can rule things out along the way i.e. missing rod bolt, broken valve springs, etc
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and will do as you stated. I really don't wan't to invest too much on this factory mill as i plan to build a LSX 434 and then would just swap it out for the new assembly. But till then i will go ahead and at least do as you say and rule things out as i opened it up. There was a significant amount of metal flakes in the oil telling me that it's most likely bearings...It should not be any issue pulling my pan as i have a UMI K-member that will allow me to drop it fairly easy. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Rattle Down Below after 1st time trial run