Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Resurface flywheel or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurface flywheel or not?

Im putting in a new clutch and Im not sure if it was the stock clutch or not that was in there. It was a orange valeo pressureplate and I couldnt find any part# or text on the clutchdisk but it said CF on some of the rivets.
So I dont know if the flywheel has been resurfaced before or not, and Im afraid Im taking away to much material from the flywheel so the clutch wont grab like it should if I have it resurfaced?

Or am I just worrying to much and should just get that SOB resurfaced?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a shop and have it checked. IMO if you do not know the car or the previous abuse, I would get a new one. Regrdless of the type of clutch your using.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Launching!

I would like to avoid buying a new flywheel right now if I can, but it would be nice for peace of mind.

Anyone know if it might be the stock clutch I pulled out? (based on my description, lol)
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

sounds like it was a "center Force" clutch....did the PP have sliding weights on it?

always resurface or replace the FW. Typically they only take off .005 each time and you can resurface 3-4 times.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ******
sounds like it was a "center Force" clutch....did the PP have sliding weights on it?

always resurface or replace the FW. Typically they only take off .005 each time and you can resurface 3-4 times.
Yep it looked like it IIRC.

Ok 0.005 that sounds good.

BTW the surface is smooth as a baby butt. I cant feel any grooves or anything with my fingers or nail.