LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti-spark problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-spark problems?

My 93 Z28 started shutting off while driving last night. I was just cruising and the engine just dies. I got it home and auto zone tested my alternator and said the bearings were bad. I replaced the alternator. voltage was low, and staying low, and it was barely turning over. after I replaced that my car shut off again and will not start at all. It will turn over but will not fire. I replaced the fuel filter and it did nothing. I talked to a few people and they said that it is probably be the opti-spark that was going out and when I put the new alternator on it finished it off. Would this be a busted opti? Will that cause the car not to fire but turn over? The car is a 93 6-speed with 95000 miles. CAI, LTs.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It absolutely could be the optispark. But before you go dropping the change for a new one, consider your fuel system too. I'd get a fuel pressure test done, just for good measure.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

turn your car to the "ON" position and listen to see if your fuel pump is priming the motor. If that's ok then you can buy a spark tester and see if your car is getting spark. Check for spark at the coil first. If that's ok then check for spark on one of your plug wires... It's good to trouble shoot the basics first because it saves you time and money...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
turn your car to the "ON" position and listen to see if your fuel pump is priming the motor. If that's ok then you can buy a spark tester and see if your car is getting spark. Check for spark at the coil first. If that's ok then check for spark on one of your plug wires... It's good to trouble shoot the basics first because it saves you time and money...
While this is a normally good method to see if the pump actually primes/runs - the feed hose from the pump to the main feed line (which is rubber) could have rotted out and the pump just pumping fuel back into the tank (this happened to me once).

A fuel pressure test will eliminate any guesswork in that area. Bad regulator could be it as well. Just tooooo many things. Your best bet is diagnosing/testing things that will cost you no to little money. Don't buy parts unless you are CERTAIN that is the problem!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1

The fuel pump is priming the motor when its on the "on" position. ANd I have no spark coming through my spark plug wires.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Take off your ignition control module and get it tested at AutoZone or Advance Auto parts for free. If it's good check your opti harness. If that's good start looking for a new opti...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its seems like alot of people (including myself) are having problems with the opti here lately.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check this out. my opti went too about a month ago, its just that time i guess.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...p?showtopic=78
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Codes are always the preferred diagnosis method.

Quick Reply: Opti-spark problems?