Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Racing Line Lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Racing Line Lock

I bought a line lock and install kit from Thunder Racing a few weeks ago. I finally got around to installing it this weekend but have a question for anyone else with this install kit. When I flip the switch to activate it I hear a loud humming sound coming from the relay. Is this normal? I can hear it over the exhaust because it’s so loud. I assume that it is a faulty relay but want to make sure.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem. I've had the TR setup on the car for 2 seasons and the light on the switch that came with the kit went out (the switch still works fine). I went to radio shack and picked up a lighted automotive on/off switch. When I turned it on I got a loud humming from the inside fuse panel. I could hear the line lock solenoid click but I never had that humming with the old switch. I put the old switch back on and everything went back to normal. I can live without the light on the switch but I'm curious what caused the humming.

-Ken
Old 01-25-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

move to drag racing, may have better luck with replies there on this issue.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ken G
I have the same problem. I've had the TR setup on the car for 2 seasons and the light on the switch that came with the kit went out (the switch still works fine). I went to radio shack and picked up a lighted automotive on/off switch. When I turned it on I got a loud humming from the inside fuse panel. I could hear the line lock solenoid click but I never had that humming with the old switch. I put the old switch back on and everything went back to normal. I can live without the light on the switch but I'm curious what caused the humming.

-Ken
The humming is more like a buzz sound (had a friend look at the line lock and he said that it sounded like his car when he left the keys in the ignition and the door open) and I checked and it is coming from the relay. Then I touch the relay it vibrates. I tought about the switch and tried a few other things like just touching the wires together and it still buzzed
Old 01-25-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put mine in last week worked great. no problems
Old 01-25-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went out and played around with it a little. I tried a plain old non-lighted toggle switch and it worked fine. No buzzing at all. I still don't know what this means but I'm just going to leave it alone.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Banned

Ken, We do sell the replacement lighted switches for $15 if you need one.

01REDWS6, I'm not sure what could be causing the buzzing sound from the relay, but if it's defective we'll be happy to switch it out for you. You can give me a call at the shop tomorrow at 877-516-7223, ext 305.

Angie
Old 01-25-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Angie
Ken, We do sell the replacement lighted switches for $15 if you need one.

01REDWS6, I'm not sure what could be causing the buzzing sound from the relay, but if it's defective we'll be happy to switch it out for you. You can give me a call at the shop tomorrow at 877-516-7223, ext 305.

Angie
Thanks Angie I'll call you tomarrow. I've been thinking about it and I'm thinking the relay is bad, maybe a bad connection inside causing the buzzing.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That relay is very common. Can be picked up at any auto parts store for about $5.

Mine went out too and had to replace it.