Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire turned into car running like absolute crap, what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire turned into car running like absolute crap, what happened?

As title says I have been troubleshooting a misfire this weekend. First off, I was getting O2 codes from no cats, so I took my car to the tuner to have them delete the codes, and right away they noticed a misfire (I couldn't tell it was there, but that's all they do is LSx's) they replaced a plug and a wire and sent me on my way. Now I am paranoid and went ahead and bought all new spark plugs (NGK TR6) and new wires (Summit 8.5 mm). Replaced them and pulled the valve covers to see if anything was bad. Everything appeared ok, so I put everything together and took it out for a spin.....It ran like crap.... Under moderate acceleration it would make a deep exhaust note, as if all cyls weren't firing and lacked power. I never gave it any more than moderate throttle for fear it would be bad.

Car is 04Z with 30k miles, full exhaust, kenne bell boost a pump, 60 lb injectors, P1SC Procharger, and other mods but they dont pertain to this diagnostic.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uscgreel
As title says I have been troubleshooting a misfire this weekend. First off, I was getting O2 codes from no cats, so I took my car to the tuner to have them delete the codes, and right away they noticed a misfire (I couldn't tell it was there, but that's all they do is LSx's) they replaced a plug and a wire and sent me on my way. Now I am paranoid and went ahead and bought all new spark plugs (NGK TR6) and new wires (Summit 8.5 mm). Replaced them and pulled the valve covers to see if anything was bad. Everything appeared ok, so I put everything together and took it out for a spin.....It ran like crap.... Under moderate acceleration it would make a deep exhaust note, as if all cyls weren't firing and lacked power. I never gave it any more than moderate throttle for fear it would be bad.

Car is 04Z with 30k miles, full exhaust, kenne bell boost a pump, 60 lb injectors, P1SC Procharger, and other mods but they dont pertain to this diagnostic.
Check your mass air flow sensor. make sure its clean and free of any blockage
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Checked MAF, nothing crazy with it. Cleaned what little amount of dirt off. Same results, also checked all wires to ensure they were fully seated and cleaned main coil connection... Still the same.....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

head gasket ?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Pull the plugin out of the MAF and take it for a spin.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rem308winvtr
head gasket ?
Havent even looked at oil yet, but it was clean in valve covers....will check
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
Pull the plugin out of the MAF and take it for a spin.
A little hesitant on that.. what will it do?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a similar experience, RE CHECK ALL YOUR PLUGS, mine were somehow badly gap and it was having random misfires like crazy, and check your cables again, make sure everyting is in perfect condition
Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So it ran good after the shop put in one plug and a wire and now it runs bad after You put in 8 plugs and new wires?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by uscgreel
A little hesitant on that.. what will it do?

If the MAF is bad the car will run perfect.If the MAF is still good nothing will change.Thats why you have to unplug the MAF.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks to everyone for the help! Turns out the new spark plug wires, weren't so "new". Three of them would not "Ohm out" Swapped those three with three of my old ones that checked good and she ran like a champ. Sorry this was that easy, but I figured im buying new wires so they have to be good....wrong I guess Summit doesn't test there wires before they leave there facility.