I Need help with my laptop help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Need help with my laptop help

Yesterday my anti virus program poped up a virus notice window.I scanned the computer and some files were cleaned but 3 remained unhealed. Now,there's a window where I can either ignore the prob or delete the files but doing so will will make my system run unstable or even crash it! Any one with any hook ups to geeksquad. It's a Trojan horse droppergeneric2 virus. Iminhouston btw.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it actually your antivirus program that's popping up, or an "antivirus" program that installed itself on your computer?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it's coming up wtih a trojan horse. If it was an installed program, it would queue for him to buy the package to remove it.

Which antivirus do you use? If you have been downloading from torrents and so forth, that's all P2P so it is pretty issue to get a virus. The only choice you really have is to clean them out / quarantine.

First I would install ccleaner and give it a run.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redz_02
Sounds like it's coming up wtih a trojan horse. If it was an installed program, it would queue for him to buy the package to remove it.

Which antivirus do you use? If you have been downloading from torrents and so forth, that's all P2P so it is pretty issue to get a virus. The only choice you really have is to clean them out / quarantine.

First I would install ccleaner and give it a run.
All I did was check my email and got on messenger. Then my antivirus program popped up when it detected the virus. It's my antivirus program not any other popping up. Lap top seems to work fine only prob is that some messages on I'm don't go through
And it sends a link to my contacts .it's not me doing it. I think that's the virus.I avg anti virus program. Where do I down load the program your talking about?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I already had the anti virus scan the whole lap top and it could not heal the 3 files. I can either have them removed deleted but it days it will make my system run unstable or crash it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have any important documents on your pc, just re image it with windows 7.

If you do have important info that you can't afford to lose, then back it up, then try this:

Windows + R
Type in msconfig
Click on the startup tab
Click disable all (or only click on the programs you want to start when you boot your computer up)
Click ok, if you're on XP it will prompt you to re boot.
If you're on Vista or 7, then it won't say anything.

Reboot after this. If you're on XP, you'll see a dialog box that will ask you if you want to see this message again, click no. Then see if that "anti virus" software pops up again.

If it does, then press CTRL + ALT + Delete, then click on the processes tab, and post back here with any processes that seem fishy (like a bunch of numbers, or letters that don't make sense), and I'll try to scan them to see which one is causing it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

I will try this when I get home in a bit. Will this delete the virus? My wife has slot off
Stuff onthere forger online classes. Ami atany risk of passwords or anything else gettin hijacked?

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
If you don't have any important documents on your pc, just re image it with windows 7.

If you do have important info that you can't afford to lose, then back it up, then try this:

Windows + R
Type in msconfig
Click on the startup tab
Click disable all (or only click on the programs you want to start when you boot your computer up)
Click ok, if you're on XP it will prompt you to re boot.
If you're on Vista or 7, then it won't say anything.

Reboot after this. If you're on XP, you'll see a dialog box that will ask you if you want to see this message again, click no. Then see if that "anti virus" software pops up again.

If it does, then press CTRL + ALT + Delete, then click on the processes tab, and post back here with any processes that seem fishy (like a bunch of numbers, or letters that don't make sense), and I'll try to scan them to see which one is causing it.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
I will try this when I get home in a bit. Will this delete the virus? My wife has slot off
Stuff onthere forger online classes. Ami atany risk of passwords or anything else gettin hijacked?
It will not delete the virus, but stop it from executing again. You will then have to get a legit antivirus software like Kaspersky, or AVG to do a scan on your computer and clean out any infected files you may or may not have.

I still suggest just backing up all your files on a flash drive or something, and re-imaging the computer to Windows 7...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I did was check my email and got on messenger. Then my antivirus program popped up when it detected the virus. It's my antivirus program not any other popping up. Lap top seems to work fine only prob is that some messages on I'm don't go through
And it sends a link to my contacts .it's not me doing it. I think that's the virus.I avg anti virus program. Where do I down load the program your talking about?
Filehippo, or any of the other various DL sites. Like avg, there is a free version. It is basically a system optimization tool. In this case it will help you if there are any invalid Windows Registry entries. It has also been know to remove various hardware that virus's attach to.

All my pc's (with the exception of my NAS/LDAP server which has a Debian install) I use avast and ccleaner regularly.

If you have to spend all weekend trying to fix it I would just do as Buff said and reformat.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

I do have avg antivirus software on there already. I updated it yesterday as matter of fact. But after. I run the scan it still didn't clear the 3 infected files.

So if i reimage my laptop it'll will destroy the virus?? Sorry for allege qs .and todo this I needto follow the steps buff described ?

Suxhaving to communicate thru my celland nor
My lap top.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boot up on "Safe Mode" by pressing F8 during boot (most systems) run a complete scan and clean.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have avg antivirus software on there already. I updated it yesterday as matter of fact. But after. I run the scan it still didn't clear the 3 infected files.

So if i reimage my laptop it'll will destroy the virus?? Sorry for allege qs .and todo this I needto follow the steps buff described ?

Suxhaving to communicate thru my celland nor
My lap top.
If you reimage you are starting from a clean install. So even if partitioned, you will loose everything.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

And yes, you will delete the "virus" if you reimage. It will be as if you just bought the computer from wherever you bought it from (if you bought it new). As soon as you reimage, install all windows updates, reboot, and install a anti virus software.

Don't visit any suspicious sites from now on. And use Firefox or Chrome to browse the web. Internet Exploder is not a W3 compliant browser, nor was it ever intended to be an internet browser.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

here's what i have..

how do i go about reimaging..??

and are firefox and chrome free downloadedble files..
Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

since it shows the file name, you can boot into safe mode and go to those directories and try and manually delete it. its worth a try. just so you know avg is worthless.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's what i have..

how do i go about reimaging..??

and are firefox and chrome free downloadedble files..
Yes, they are free web browsers. All the products listed are free downloads. To re-image you'll need a copy of your windows install disk. Just basically, pop the disk in during bootup and boot to disk. From there just follow the promts. Takes about 20 mins. depending on your system.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
since it shows the file name, you can boot into safe mode and go to those directories and try and manually delete it. its worth a try. just so you know avg is worthless.
tell me about it!!! they dont even have a support thru the phone ..its all gotta be done by email... they do have a partner on there site that charges $149 for technical help...

ive thried booting into safe mode but cant figureout how to do it the f8 key doesnt work windos vista..
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

it will still be f8 to get into safemode. its the same for xp,vista,7
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

If you don't have the original disks your laptop came with, then I can mail you a copy of Windows 7.... Pm me...
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
If you don't have the original disks your laptop came with, then I can mail you a copy of Windows 7.... Pm me...
just got the lap top like 2 yrs ago.. so i still have everything even the box lol... thanks tho...

my wife is kinda hesitant about doing the restore on it.... she said" just take it to the geek squad" $200.... or i could spend that on my car