Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Help/Advice

Hi everyone. Been awhile since I posted up in here. I sold my old 01 ss camaro and bought an artic white 2000 Camaro SS

For exhaust this is what has been installed:
American Racing Headers Long Tube 1 3/4 Headers
American Racing Off Road Y Pipe 2.5 inches
GMMG Cat Back Exhaust

I just had everything installed. I also had two brand new Kooks High Flow Cat's but they were 3 inch and my mechanic said they wouldnt fit the Y pipe nor was there room to put the two of them on. So we scrapped it thinking it wouldnt be too bad on the rasp.

We were COMPLETELY wrong. The car is so raspy (automatic I forgot to mention) that I cant deal with it. I refuse to drive the car anymore the way it sounds.

Should I a)- Pull the Y pipe and GMMG off and put an ARH X pipe with 4 bullet mufflers on the car with the tubing going over the axle ( i remember the last time I had Nick build that for me it was over 3 thousand cash). or I could do b) Find a way to find small high flow cats and stick them on. I just dont know who can do it for me. I had a pretty well known shop do it and he is known throughout for some of his better exhaust work done. I dont mind buying another set of Cats if they shut her up. I want that mustang sound without the drone and rasp of what I have.

I originally had 1 7/8 ARH long tubes, ARH X PIPE, 4 bullet mufflers, over the rear axle and the sound was something as beautiful as a Harp in Heaven. Everyone wanted one.. few could afford it. I know Nick is not the cheapest but damnit, he is one of the best.

Now with this all being said, I am not a mechanically inclined type of guy. I like to watch, pretend I regained what I just watched, and sit back and pay the guy at the end.

I was doing to do a 12 bolt and a circle d converter as well as subframes but now it seems I am stuck fixing the exhaust.

Anywone else know where to go? Maybe a Non Sponsor inwhich you can PM me the information.

I am located in Lake Ronkonkoma, Suffolk County, Long Island New York 11779

I dont mind traveling too far I need to East side. already but thay was for a heads and cam tune. I know of Kaltech is a great guy with good tunes and is local and so is Carmen from Vetter Doctros but I am trying to keep the cost down. Either way, I am going to need the tune so I can tune out the egr provisions and also codes and I have no 02 bungs so thats a problem.

Also under some load (not sever) I feel a vibration in the front of the motor. I know he changed both struts since they were shot to hell. What to you guys think?

Now this is in NO way bashing the last shop working on my car. The guy is super cool. just got busy is all. I dont mind at all. And he will remain friends of my family for years to come. But I think it is time to move on to see who can tackle this issue.

And I have an LS6 intake that needs to be installed as well. And BFH mod to roll the wheel wells after I lowered the car about 1.2 inches or so.

I love Ed;s work. I truly do. And his honestly is never questions at all. But this exhaust has got me struggling to find answers. Please help. MY tech LSx friends. I am back.. lets build a winner the correct way!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow talk about a long post. follow TORCHD02TAs setup. 3inch ORY/Flowmaster merge/Powerpack in the I pipe/GMMG. Killed all of his rasp.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

meaning losing the arh headers, arh y pipe and gmmg catback?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

What about replacing the Y pipe with a TSP catted one? The SLP cats are very small and you might be able to put them on your current setup with a little cutting of the ory. Usually cats do a good job of limiting the amount of rasp, plus it seems like the easier and cheaper option for you right now.