Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few LS1 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few LS1 swap questions

Hey guys, I'm planning on a LS1 swap soon.
I have a few questions, as it seems to be a lot of work and I want to get everything correct. Keep in mind I am going from a 2.8 V6 A4.

#1. If I purchase a donor car, other than notching the K member, and cutting for the T-56 to fit, can I swap in the LS1 computer, wiring harness, motor and tranny and rear end? Or is there more I need to do? I've read the FAQs at Thirdgen.org a few times and I can't seem to find a concrete answer for that question.

#2. At Hawk's site they have a list of connectors and such here. Will I need any of those? And if so which ones?

#3. My current radiator has a crack in it. (LOL) I was planning on using the LS1 rad, I assume it will fit, anything else I will need to know?

#4. I plan on dropping the motor in from the top as I do not have the ability to put the car over it with the K-member. Any hazards and such I need to know?

#5. I plan on using the rear end from the donor car, due to it having disc brakes and posi (IIRC). I assume I will need new brake lines, or can I use what I have?

#6. I know I will need a new fuel pump, which one would be the best choice? Or should I just use the tank from the donor car?

#7. Gauges, I was planning one putting in some white face autometer ones in, will they work correctly with the swap? Or will I need a converter or something for them?

#8. The Y-pipe, could I cut the stock one from the donor car and weld it to fit my car? Or will I need to have one made?

That's what I can remember, if I have more questions I'll post them up. Thanks guys!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Point by point was answered on TGO. Almost all of that was covered in the sticky. The smaller aspects can be found with a search. They're not rare issues