Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

clutch and pilot bearing replacemant

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry clutch and pilot bearing replacemant

I know i am a newbie but theis is my seccont f body. I tried to use the same old method to remove the pilot bearing that I have used on every other vehicle I have ever owned. The old fill the hole with grease and give it a few good whacks and usually the pilot bearing just comes right out. WRONG!!!

What I am wondering is how much presure is behind that pesky little freeze plug??? Because I pumped about a half a tube of grease into the end of the crank before i realized what was happening should i worry ???
hopefully I can just replace the freeze plug and puty it back together.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I have always heard that method is not to be done on our LS1's. If you pop that freeze plug, you gonna have a hell of a problem. I had to rent a pilot bearing puller from autozone for 15 bucks. They didn't have the slide hammer, so I just used a fork pry and a breaker bar. Couple of kicks and it popped. Also have heard of cutting it very carefully with a drimmel to relieve pressure from the bearing.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 PM

I did pop the freezplug but it wasnt that hard to replace it. A quick stop at a few parts stores and i found a replacement freezplug i installed it with a tool we made on the lathe. We turned one end to fit the freez plug and the other end to fit the pilot bearing. it worked pretty slick. the third tool we made was a homemade slidehammer tool to remove the pilot bearing my budy and his dad are a whizz on the lathe. thank god for friends with shops.

Quick Reply: clutch and pilot bearing replacemant