Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know, another header thread, but different question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know, another header thread, but different question

So I just got a nice deal from another member on this site for some ARH headers and Y with high flo cats. (Thanks Dave) First off I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.

My question is this, the ORY with cats has another set of bungs behind the cats, does anyone run the rear O2's on this style set up? Or do most just put the plugs in and tune out the rears?

Oh, and if you do run the rears, do you need extensions for the rears?
One other thing, are those 1 inch clamps good enough? Or should I order up some of those 3 in ones.
And, no that's not my bed! lol. Guest room.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id run rear O2s if i have cats. i think it will set the check engine off so its better than tunning them, also i think you will be needing only 1 extension for the driver's side cat *not sure tho*.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can just lop the harness off your stock rears and use them to plug the hole, and tune them out. Also, the corvette 13111 sensors have a nice long harness if you need more length and don't have extensions. The 1 inch clamps are designed for slip fit like you have, the 3 inch are for ones that don't have slots cut in them, and will probably leak.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Got the extensions already, so good there. I also have the plugs so won't have to cut stock rears if I decide not to use them. I think since the bungs are there I'm going to try using them till I can get a tune.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

ANymore input? Is there a drawback to running the rears? Why don't more people run them? Just because of the added expense? Or is there no gain so why do it? Just trying to learn and haven't found anything in searches. Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

there are no gains from rear O2's they will only let you know if anything is wrong with your cat by turning on the engine light.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

OK thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call on the S/S ARP header studs. Thats what I got, you'll like em and they look really good
Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SHovV
Good call on the S/S ARP header studs. Thats what I got, you'll like em and they look really good
Thanks, I'm actually not sure I would have got them but they were included in my deal with the headers. So I'll be using them for sure. SO you thread the studs in first correct? Then hang the gaskets and headers, then put on the nuts and torque?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

You won't need extensions for the rear O2 Sensors.

I ran the rear O2's when I initially installed my Jet Hot LTs and Catted Y. You may need to pull their wiring looms away from where they mount on the tranny, but they will reach.

As stated before, there is no performance gain or loss by having them or not having them in place. The only function they perform is to monitor the temperature of the cats.

I was occasionally getting a PO420 Code, Catalyst Insufficient Performance or something to that effect. I believe this was caused by the smaller Jet Hot Cats not performing to the same level as the larger factory cats and the rear O2's reading more emissions. Again, this didn't affect performance, but the SES light was an annoyance. So the I had the Rear O2's shut off when I did my Mail-Order-Tune from Frost.

I have yet to actually remove the sensors, but once I do, I have plugs to put in their place that came with the Y-pipe.

My advice is to remove them. You'll get an SES light, but eventually you'll want an Aftermarket Tune and you can have the light taken care of at the same time.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Mumbles. Good input. Guess I'll just plug them up and get them tuned out. By the way, how do you like your Frost tune? I'm planing on doing the same since it's just these bolt on parts. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like what Mr. Frost did to my PCM with his Mail-Order-Tune. I didn't notice a night and day change, but I could definitely feel it on the Ol' Butt-Dyno. LOL

Plus Steve is a great guy. I must have bugged him 5 or 6 times with PMs before I ever purchased the Tune. He was more than willing to reply, with answers to all my questions.

I definitely recommend him if you're looking for an aftermarket tune.

BTW: Awesome looking ride! SOM is a beautiful color.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info and the compliment. cheers