Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?

Hello all!
Long story short, I finally got my level 2 tranny from Performabuilt installed and I took the car out today and drove it around for about an hour (checking for
leaks frequently). I also got their TC, and the torque converter's stall speed is supposed to be close to stock.

Under light acceleration, everything is perfect.

Toward the last half of the hour of cruising, I decided to push on it a little
bit... nothing crazy, as I imagine that it needs a bit of a break in
period...So, From a stop, under 1/2-3/4 throttle, the tranny shifts perfectly smoothly from 1-2, but from 2-3 it revs over 3k before catching, then there is a slight shuddering until 4th.
If crusing in 4th, then pressing the throttle enough to kick down to 3rd, the shudder returns until it shifts back to 4th.

I checked the fluid level at several points on the trip and the level is good... no drips under the car at any point.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd do the same drive with a foot resting on the brake pedal just enough to turn the brake lights on, this will disable the torque converter from locking.

The problem sounds like a slipping tcc. I seriously doubt thats the problem, but this test will confirm it by preventing lock up.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would add a little fluid till its just over the crosshatch . And I need a better description of what you mean by on the 2-3 revs to over 3k before shifting?
And do all the shifts feel firm there could be a presure issue and what if anything ws the issue with your previous trans ?

Also note if the converter bolts you are using are too long they will hit the inside of the face of the converter and cause converter clutch failure and shudder and all of that. because they will bend the converter face and make dimples in the clutch surface.
I mention this because you mentioned in your email that the converter bolt heads were hitting the sheild and this could indeed cause the shudder feeling.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 09-04-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'll hit these one by one... Hope it helps!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would add a little fluid till its just over the crosshatch .
The fluid is in the "hot" crosshatch, when the tranny is hot... You want me to add more?

And I need a better description of what you mean by on the 2-3 revs to over 3k before shifting?
While the throttle remains at the same level, the trans shifts quickly and smoothly from 1-2, but as it shifts out of 2 and into 3, it revs to over 3k before it engages 3, then shudders until it shifts from 3-4.

And do all the shifts feel firm there could be a presure issue and what if anything ws the issue with your previous trans ?
1-2 feels solid
2-3 does not feel solid
3 shudders until going to 4
3-4 feels solid

My stock trans would not shift into 4th... It would shift from 1-2, 2-3, but as it heated up after about 15 mins of driving in the hills it would stop shifting into 4th.. it just revved like it was in neutral until the RPM's slowed, then it seemed to "catch", but if you pressed the throttle it would just slip again...
Stock trans had 142k miles.

Also note if the converter bolts you are using are too long they will hit the inside of the face of the converter and cause converter clutch failure and shudder and all of that. because they will bend the converter face and make dimples in the clutch surface.
I mention this because you mentioned in your email that the converter bolt heads were hitting the sheild and this could indeed cause the shudder feeling.
The bolts are the same as stock length - they do not touch the converter. The bolt heads were hitting the dust cover for the place where the starter mounts - This is apparently a fairly normal thing for the TCI flexplate, since it is not concave/convex (depending on the direction you're looking) - It has pads to make the stock flexplate distance.

Please let me know if there's more info I can provide to help! I was really looking forward to using my car again!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I'd do the same drive with a foot resting on the brake pedal just enough to turn the brake lights on, this will disable the torque converter from locking.

The problem sounds like a slipping tcc. I seriously doubt thats the problem, but this test will confirm it by preventing lock up.

I'll check that out tomorrow morning on the way to church! I don't know why it would fail to lock on 3rd only, but who knows!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Performabuilt... Anything?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha! go figure, it doesnt work. Had a buddy buy one and it never worked right. Thank god for other companies who know what there doing. He was out the $2,000 but hes happy now that he has a working trans.

good luck swapping them out 30 times because they will never be able to get it to work right.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well don't jump to conclusions, I have had their level 1 for 80,000 miles now. It works just fine
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you do the test that was mentioned hold the brake slightly I would do that first. And of course if there is and isue we will take care or it just trying to eliminate all possibilites first. However while it could have been just from being old the original trans symptoms are similar to the one you mention which could be and indication of presure issue also. In any case we will get to the bottom of it and get it solved.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lvl2 has a shudder/noise in third below 40 mph when it locks up. Past this mph it goes away. When not locked up doesnt make the noise.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by c_keith74
my lvl2 has a shudder/noise in third below 40 mph when it locks up. Past this mph it goes away. When not locked up doesnt make the noise.
The lock up mph needs to be raised. With PWM TCC apply converted to on/off it has zero slip. It has the effect of a manual trans in too low a gear and the whole drivetrain will rattle.

It's also worse with converters that have no TCC damper springs.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Did you do the test that was mentioned hold the brake slightly I would do that first. And of course if there is and isue we will take care or it just trying to eliminate all possibilites first. However while it could have been just from being old the original trans symptoms are similar to the one you mention which could be and indication of presure issue also. In any case we will get to the bottom of it and get it solved.
The test results = With the brake very lightly applied - The shuddering is reduced slightly and the 2-3 shift still revs close to 4k on harder acceleration. (1-2 engage quickly, 3-4 engage quickly)

Your thoughts?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off i think you should have contacted Performabuilt and discussed this as a customer and vendor and not start a post on a forum but I guess people don't bother to do that anymore.

Has your PCM ever been tuned? If so, you need to see if the trans tables have been messed with. Also, try cleaning the MAF, the functionality of the MAF is critical to trans shifting.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
First off i think you should have contacted Performabuilt and discussed this as a customer and vendor and not start a post on a forum but I guess people don't bother to do that anymore.

Has your PCM ever been tuned? If so, you need to see if the trans tables have been messed with. Also, try cleaning the MAF, the functionality of the MAF is critical to trans shifting.

Regarding the useful part of your post: No. The PCM has not been tuned, as performabuilt requests that the car retain the stock tune for their tranny's. I've cleaned the maf in the last year, but it's always worth a shot. How does the MAF reading affect/interact with shifting? I know it affects air/fuel mix etc... but never heard of a relation to shift points, etc..

Regarding the useless part of your post: You have absolutely no idea what I tried to do before posting on this forum. I have not said anything negative about the vendor, nor their products. I have very high expectations for the outcome of the discussion and every faith that Performabuilt will help to make things right. As such, please keep the discussion techinical.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kiztope
How does the MAF reading affect/interact with shifting?.
It reads how much air is going into the engine and uses that and other sensors to calculate engine load.
Calculated engine load references the force motor current table which raises and lowers line pressure.

It's not very likely that the MAF is going to effect only one gear.
Especially with the inherent problems of the 4L60E's 2-3 shift strategy.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2004 Red GT-OH
ha! go figure, it doesnt work. Had a buddy buy one and it never worked right. Thank god for other companies who know what there doing. He was out the $2,000 but hes happy now that he has a working trans.

good luck swapping them out 30 times because they will never be able to get it to work right.
if you dont have anything technical to add to the post, stay the eff out no-one needs the sponsor trolls around in these posts there is a sponsor feedback forum post your garbage there.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
if you dont have anything technical to add to the post, stay the eff out no-one needs the sponsor trolls around in these posts there is a sponsor feedback forum post your garbage there.

If you dont have anything technical to add to the post stay the eff out. No one needs someone to post about someones elses post not being technical or "helpful" when your post was no help either.

k thanx bye
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2004 Red GT-OH
If you dont have anything technical to add to the post stay the eff out. No one needs someone to post about someones elses post not being technical or "helpful" when your post was no help either.

k thanx bye
yeah however I guarantee I have more technical to post than you ever will seeing this is what I do evryday. It is hard for a sponsor and customer to get to the bottom of things when you have nut swingers trolling posts. like you!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
It reads how much air is going into the engine and uses that and other sensors to calculate engine load.
Calculated engine load references the force motor current table which raises and lowers line pressure.

It's not very likely that the MAF is going to effect only one gear.
Especially with the inherent problems of the 4L60E's 2-3 shift strategy.
That makes sense... Thanks for the rundown!

Performabuilt,
Any other thoughts on this one?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Subscibing. Curious of the outcome.

Quick Reply: New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?