Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Monsoon

Hey guys!

Those are some great sticky's to begin the thread..but I still have a question.

I sent Rogue Leader a PM..but just in case he doesn't get around to it.. I figured I'd post it here also.

My door panels in my 98 Z28 only show the one speaker grille.. no place for the tweeter, however, my source unit is stamped with the monsoon sticker. And yeah.. my speakers are pretty much shot with no abuse sent their way either.

Does anyone know if that's just something in the Pontiacs..that they have the slot for the separate tweeter? Did the dealer whodoo me with the monsoon sticker? Or was that something started after 98 with the flush mounted tweet? Or did RL manufacture this spot for the tweet?

Also.. anyone have any experience with the JL 10" sub that drops into the sidewall where the T-tops sit when they are removed? I have to Precision Power amsp sittin' in the closet from a previous system.. I might just go that route!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Hey bud, just sent you an email , as far as I know, the Pontiacs have a seperately mounted tweeter...why Im not sure; however, its not such a bad thing after all if you decide to go with aftermarket tweeters. I mounted mine in my a pillars, and they actually make for a nice install up there. Cant tell you too much about the JL, but I know JL makes good stuff. If you are looking into a system, be sure to checkout subthump.com and all the custom boxes they make. Post back, pm, or email if you have any more questions, and I am sure somebody here can help ya
Old 01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

just cut a hole somewhere in your door for an aftermarket tweeter.... as long as its snug enough, it works great.....
Old 01-26-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check out the thread by tuffluck stickyed at the top, it goes through what you need
Old 01-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys..

I guess my meds hadn't kicked in last night when I read the stickies!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Here's another quck question for you guys that have been back there already... yeah I'm feelin' lazy atm and I'm at work and my car is at home...

I'm lookin' at jL audio's 6.5" w0 series and it specifies that this speaker is not designed as an infinite baffle type subwoofer... so is there an enclosure there? or it just mounting platform and empty space on the sidewall of the car?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

man, jl audio makes good stuff for sure, i have a 10 in a box similar to a stealth box (i'm cheap so i made my own for like 20 bucks) and it fits great and sounds even better. i m also runnin a 250 w kenwood to it and that has worked out great. shoot me a pm if ya got any questions on install or anything like that, its pretty damn simple -matt
Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98CamaroZ
Here's another quck question for you guys that have been back there already... yeah I'm feelin' lazy atm and I'm at work and my car is at home...

I'm lookin' at jL audio's 6.5" w0 series and it specifies that this speaker is not designed as an infinite baffle type subwoofer... so is there an enclosure there? or it just mounting platform and empty space on the sidewall of the car?
As far as I can tell its exclosed however I havent delved too far into there... However I read about someone using them nd getting good results so I would say they probably sound fine.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
As far as I can tell its exclosed however I havent delved too far into there... However I read about someone using them nd getting good results so I would say they probably sound fine.

Thanks Rogue Leader! Sorry to be that royal pain in the rear!

I really appreciate the input!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

They didnt seem to be enclosed when I felt of them (I had similar thoughts for putting a sub in there)....they may be...but its nothing like a real subwoofer enclosure. The subs will probably work and sound just fine, but it wont hit anything like it would if it had a proper enclosure and air space.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im considering stuffing some fiberfill down the well and seeing what happens...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Im considering stuffing some fiberfill down the well and seeing what happens...
Sounds like a cool idea...let me know how that turns out if you do it!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Sounds like a cool idea...let me know how that turns out if you do it!

It will be a while... too damn cold around here.

Im considering another project though. Pulling the monsoon amp and running new small amps to all the speakers using a line output converter off the deck and line drivers to get decent pre-amp voltage. Maybe even get a blown monsson amp and cut the harness out of it so I can re-use the factory speaker wires. Completely stock looking system, won't pound like a competition setup but should sound nice... hmmmm..... depends how bored I am this summer...
Old 01-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Teching In

LOL that's a thought Rogue. I've never had great experience with the line in converters but then again, I've never used the line drivers to help 'em out either. I'd definately be interested in seeing how that turns out for you!