Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid

Just wanted to post up some comparo pics of the 3 above lids.
I was running the SLP for the past several years and came across a Blackwing lid for a great price so went ahead and got it.

The SLP lid worked great for when I had it. I noticed after my H/C swap I had the hissing/sucking noise from the lid, seemed like it was almost choking and not getting enough air.
Switched to the Blackwing and the noise was gone with a much nicer fitment over the filter. The butt dyno also felt like their were slight gains especially at higher velocities/RPMs.

Took measurements from to show the actually height/depth of the lid, interesting the factory lid appears to be a little bigger. The plastic ridges in it though are preventing any smooth airflow(possibly free mod that could show results if ridges removed)

Blackwing measured 2 5/8"

SLP measured 2"

Factory Ram Air measured 2 3/8"
Attached Thumbnails Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid-dsc02068.jpg   Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid-dsc02072.jpg   Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid-dsc02073.jpg   Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid-dsc02074.jpg   Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid-dsc02075.jpg  

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Teching In

I just bought a Blackwing Lid, and, although a little more expensive than your typical aftermarket lid, is a really great fitting, excellent performing, factory looking piece. I have no complaints...buy once, cry once.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been tested several times and aftermarket always performs better by a few hp than the blackwing
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been tested several times and aftermarket always performs better by a few hp than the blackwing
All the Tests I have ever seen showed the Blackwing flowed better.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your measurements are great and all, but i thought the major flow restriction on the stock lid is the bottleneck where it attatches to the maf? Not the height, or volume of the lid itself.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
All the Tests I have ever seen showed the Blackwing flowed better.
i believe Patrick G on here was tuning a H/C LS1 that was making 447 with the blackwing, they swapped to an MTI lid and made 453
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Slp lid is better than the stock-blowing in numbers and design
little difference but this is better

The big difference is when you install the combo filter k & n + FRA
And if you want more.. more difference
Filter SSRA or FTRA + filter k & n with any of these box lid
Old 09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The blackwing isn't much different than any others except for it has a factory appearance and the higher price tag that goes with it. With that nearly any aftermarket lid is better performing than the stock lid period!

Last edited by gm02ceta; 09-08-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: missing words lol
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

The hissing noise is actually air passing by the nearly closed butterfly in your throttle body. The ridges in the stock lid and the "silencer" were designed to muffle this.

The factory lid fits best, but has the ridges, silencer, and a terrible transition from the oval-ish outlet in the lid itself to the round inlet of the MAF/TB. This all contributes to poor flow and power output.

The blackwing fits almost as well as factory from what I've read. It loses the ridges and silencer which increases flow, but still has an absolutely horrible transition with that awful rubber adapter piece.

The aftermarket "full" lids don't always have the best fitment and this varies between brands. It gets rid of the silencer, the underside has no ridges to impede flow, and they all have a smooth transition from lid to MAF. IMO these lids will always outflow the other two examples.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

even if the blackwing flows better and bla bla belive me you will not even feel it lol i duno how ppl say that car is breathing better and more air is flowing! its either you dyno test it or try the track or race some other stock fbody, even with that you cant get a straight up answer.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Whisper Lid ftdubs for non custom aftermarket.

PS sorry shipping for that was so much omarrakeen!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bizzles
Whisper Lid ftdubs for non custom aftermarket.

PS sorry shipping for that was so much omarrakeen!
haha omg dont be sorry bro i have to deal with shipping lol anyway i got SLP lid finally
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

The feedback and response has been good for all to see, I simply posted the measurements for any review for themselves. I know I was not gaining anything by swapping the lids, nearly identical. As someone mentioned, the "stock" appearance was more of the goal here.
Ultimately though, I did find, like others complained about, the fitment of the SLP lid was not as nice as the Blackwing. I think that is what was hissing, not the TB blade. The actual sealing or lack there of was creating the noise.
There were dyno runs to support any claims of gains, but we all know how when we change something on our cars, we can feel a diffrence. Little as it may be, the initial change is there and now has been forgotten about.
Plus the fact I got a great buy on the lid so I couldn't pass it up.
Its always nice to switch it up and change things around to keep it fresh, I am now heading back into "stock" theme.
Not necessarily bone stock, but "stock" or "optioned" parts that GM offered across all their lines. When in a culmination, complete a nice package deal.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

that hissing noise is ridic my car has been doing it for years now when cold using the slp lid.
not to hijack but any tips on getting rid of that noise... it is LOOOUD
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed, i've been trying to figure out that sound but i would describe it more as a "whinning" or "winding up sound" that progressivly gets lounder under acceleration. is that from the lid? thought for a while it might have been a manifold leak or some **** but never knew...

Quick Reply: Blackwing vs SLP vs Factory Lid