Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to prep front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prep front bumper?

Im getting quotes for near 1000 dollars to paint my front bumper and W68 front ground effects pieces. Which I think is damn near stupid.

People are saying 6-9hrs on prep to get the bumper and parts sanded and prepped. So my question is, what steps can I take aside from removing the bumper myself and preping the thing and taking it a shop to paint? What steps do I take to properly prep this bumper and get it into shape to have painted?

The license plate fill cover has a nice scuff where it was hit with a piece of metal on the highway. If the bumper is chewed up what would I need to use to repair it?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

before you do anything better make sure shop is ok with you doing prep work your self. My shop i wont touch a car some one else started just a bigger headach
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well the most I think I would do, would be to take the bumper off and sand it down and hand deliver it to a shop and have them do w/e else.

I am seeing quotes for like 4-6hrs in removal and install and then another 4-6 in sanding alone.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

1) do you know for a fact that the shop will paint it after you prep it. 2) do you have any idea experiance in do the work?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent easily 8 hrs with a DA and hand sanding on a TA bumper.
I removed the old paint down to bare,as the clear had lots of spider webbing.
They are a PITA!
See my thread on media blasting.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

i have about 18hrs in to sanding my bumper and body work only reason i didnt have it blasted was it has a few repairs and the guy wasnt sure if the matierl would take out the weld or not so i wasnt about to find out
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

I dont have access to anything major, I just know that out of ALL the shops I have been to. They all wanted to charge me like 4hrs to take the bumper and ground effects off and put them back on. And then about 9-12 hrs in sanding and then w/e additional prep they had.

I cant really do anything other than just remove the bumpers and sand them down to get the old paint off. Im not a body man , I was just looking to save some money if I could and do some of the work myself if I could.

Its just that with the market on these cars now and the fact that my car is a V6 putting between 700 and 1000 into the bumper is just too much IMO. espically when I could buy a good/decent LS1 for about 9k-11k right now.

Quick Reply: How to prep front bumper?