Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and cam question before I order them.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head and cam question before I order them.

Just a few question before I call a vendor.

I have been looking at texas speeds head and cam packages and I was leaning towards some ls6 heads with a ms3 but a recent thread has me second guessing the ms3.

A run down on the car.
Stock 02 ls1, trans t56, rear gears 3.54, tires 275/40/17
Mods. Hinson Lt headers, 3" exhaust y-piped to a single 3.5", intake I guess is a GTO style intake.
This is in a 1995 240sx, 2840 Lbs w/o driver.
As is. 341 rwhp, 353 tq.

I'm sure what ever vendor I order from will answers most of my questions but just want some opinions first.

I guess the shortest way to put this is I'm on a budget and looking for a good bang-for-buck combo that will get me close to 440 rwhp.

Been looking at Texas speed packages with the ls6 heads and ms3. But a recent thread on here people were saying the ms3 doesn't really shine unless you run 4.10 gears. So if A different cam will work better for me I'm all ears.

Other mods that will be going on with the heads and cam will be, z06 clutch, rod bolts, timing chain, oil pump and the other stuff that comes with the package. And maybe a 100 shot to top it off.

Any help or tips that will make sure I do this only once is appreciated.
Also the Car needs to remain reliable and streetable. Thx.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I think a lot is going to depend on what you end goal for your car is. Are you building a fun to drive daily driver, or a drag racer or a drift car? Larger cams are super fun in the upper end especially if matched to the proper heads and most people I know who go with larger cams like this or the Megadeath have gone with 3:91's to make up for the loss in the bottom end.

I would say figure out what kind of car this is going to be as there are lots of cams that aren't quite as big that can give you very close to the numbers you want with lots more usable power and torque curves that combined with the right heads don't need gears to be more usable down low.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I knew I was forgetting something.
Mainly DD. (needs to still do this)
Some strip. (3-6 times a year)
Maybe some track. (once a year to play around maybe)
No drifting. (I'm sure never)

Would like a to keep some bottom end to keep it fun as a DD. The 3.54 gears are there to stay. The q45 swap was my last mod so changing gears isn't an option. And I would like to run 10.5 et at least in the 1/4 with a 100 shot and I need the gears to trap the speed. With smaller tires and 3.9 gears Max speed in 4th was 114 mph. The 275 with 3.54 should get me above 130 mph in 4th now.

Last edited by fouz65; 09-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.