Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV results

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTV results

I got some junk ls1 lifters opened them up and put washers inside to prevent from sinking down. checked my ptv on the intake side not acceptable. if i use a regular hydrolic lifter from the car my ptv is like 0.095 intake side. im confused because i have read that to check ptv i need solid lifters. others have told me hydraulic lifters are suppose to callapse a little when they operate.

My question is on a regular hydralic ls1 lifter when operating with normal oil pressure is it suppose to be hard at the top or have a stiff springy feel ?

set up is afr 205 milled to 62cc with G5x3 on stock gm gaskets
Attached Thumbnails PTV results-090720102059.jpg   PTV results-090820102062.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydrolic lifters the center section where the push rod sits is made to collapse and does like a pumping motion when in use.Thats why you read about people making sure they have the correct push rod length and pre load when installing rocker arms.

So when measuring PTV thats why people use a valve spring specifically for checking PTV which has little to no resistance or a solid lifter with factory valve spring to check PTV.

Lastly checking PTV with a standard hydrolic lifter is going to give you mixed results per hydrolic lifter per cylinder when using factory valve springs.

So if I were you I would use the measurements you got from your solid lifter and go from there.

I hope I have helped

Search this Thread