Sponsored by:

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump?

Hi.
Trying to figure out which fuel pump set up can I used on my 69 camaro.
I have a lq4 with l92 heads. Ls3 intake manifold with only single fuel line.
Can I used the inline fuel pump? of do I have to use the fuel pump off a ls1 camaro?
Does the fuel pump have a build in regulator? or is the regulator build in the fuel filter?
what is my option?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

aaaahhhhh.... fuel system.... lots of options. here's a few:

here's one

similar one with a fuel cell

Tanks Inc in-tank pump (note: some modification will probably be required depending on the application)

you will need a regulator - wix PN 33737 works well (do a search for corvette regulator). walbro 255 (PN GSL392) is a good choice for a pump. Companies such as summit sell full kits, if you don't want to piece it together.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just about endless combination of what you can use.. they only real requirement is 57+psi and flow ratings (depending on HP output) to the Fuel rail or Injectors..

Yes, the OEM pump for a late 4th Gen F-Body is internally regulated in the pump setup, but you don't have to go that route unless you want to.

You can go either External or Intank pump... Walbro 255's are one of the most common choices for pumps, as is the 99+ Corvette Filter/Regulator (ACDelco GF822 or the WIX)

Building a fuel system doesn't take a MIT Graduate, Just about anything will work as long as you meet the engines requirement (yes, some design or hardware is better the others).

Most common CON's on enternal / Inline pumps are noise, vibration and service life. Internal usually solves those problems, being inside the tank and fuel, it cuts the noise out, cools the pump and will have a longer service life.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bczee gave a great answer.

For me, cost was the driving factor, so I went with an external walboro 255. If money is not a problem I would suggest going with an aftermarket stainless tank (stock replacement) with a FI conversion fuel pump installed.

Note: am assuming this is not some race car that will have special requirements