Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lovley Sounds from the Car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lovley Sounds from the Car.

So I went to the track on saturday and did 3 runs with the car... (Drifting) and on the 3rd run the car died mid corner... (I shitted my self and almost hit a wall) I coasted back to the pits and the car wouldnt start. I finally got it to start it took a while but it started and when it did start there was a knock coming from the motor...

I think its rod knock because I wasnt blowing smoke. There wasnt any stumble from the motor once it was running just a knock. I pulled the dipstick and a piece of bearing (just a piece of metal I think it bearing) was on it.

I am planing on tearing down the motor this week and replacing it with new bearings. but here are a few questions.

1 Will I need to have the crank turned if I was having rod knock.
2 Will the Piston walls have to be bored over if it was having a rod knock.
3 Whats the likely hood of me just repacking bearings and being set???? I wish but I think I know this answer.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

If you've got a rod knocking, you'll have to do some work to the crank as well. Your knock could be from other things as well though. How's your oil pressure?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your oil pressure is low then it's probly a main bearing,,but if the oil pressure still looks good then it could be a connecting rod bearing,or cam bearing, broken piston or broken lifter.

If it is a main or connecting rod bearing then your crankshaft is most likely going to need to be turned and repolished.Ether way if it is a main or connecting rod bearing I would have the crankshaft turned and polished anyways just to be safe.

If it's a cam bearing you would need to replace them all.

If it is a lifter then go on and by a new set of the LS7 lifters.

Aslong as your knock isn't because of a broken piston then you should not have to bore the the cylinders.But if you have to remove the crank which means you have to also remove the connecting rods and pistons then it's best to have the cylinders honed and new rings installed on your pistons.

Hope I have helped
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come back after tear-down... I betting on a few bearings and a ringland or two to not look so great.. A rod knock situation wouldn't cause a high rpm mid corner stall...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are ready for a new shortblock, give us a call.
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/shopping/?ic=1094

Or we do have some deals on completes on ebay right now.

Also, you might want to check into this, https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...l#post13754176
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how long you ran it for becasue ive had a rod knock and i pulled the pan and there was shavings (like you had) and all i needed to do is replace the rod bearings which was a 30 dollar fix after all that, so if the car died before any damage was done youll be fine