Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans has hit 140k and is finally slipping...what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trans has hit 140k and is finally slipping...what to do next?

Just got my car back from the shop with the rear being freshly rebuilt, the mechanic said that during the test drive he noticed the car did not want to kick out of 3rd gear, he also said [D] felt alot smoother then [OD] ....i didnt not notice anything prior to my rear being blown out, now the rear is done and it seems i have another problem. I drove it myself to break the gears in and felt exactly what he was talking about not wanting to go out of 3rd and feeling worse in [OD] which baffles me because 75% of the time i drove it in od to have a smoother drive when i wasnt racing or wot...ive also noticed a small whining sound when i left off the gas to slow down, idont know if its the new gears or not

if someone can provide some input on what the problem maybe or on what i should do next i greatly appreciate it!!

ps...car is goin to have a cam package installed, going with the 228r, if my trans is beyond salvageable or repairable what do you guys recommend? my goal is to keep it running for another 140k
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it back to that shop ASAP and get those gears readjusted before its too late.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Yup. The rear should not be whining on decceleration if you just paid good money to have it rebuilt. Unfortunately it sems that there are a lot more mechanics who will take your money to have the rear rebuilt than there are mechanics who actually know how to set it up properly.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the trans is slipping you will need to rebuild it, specially since you plan on installing a cam.