Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, cant get y-pipe off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP, cant get y-pipe off...

i am trying to drop my trans and i looked up the car today only to find that the shop that did my headers WAY back when had WELDED the y-pipe to the collector. Also welded the y-pipe to the intermediate pipe, but i cut through that with an air cut off tool. How you think its a good idea to make the ENTIRE exhaust one piece ill never know, but does anyone have any suggestions? this is in a home garage and i dont have access to any exotic tools, but they are only spot welds.

Ive tried to get them with a grinder to break it open, but i cant go too much further without cutting through the header. im sooooo pissed right now, i had never thought ANYONE wold do this.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you are from the south,,with that being said most these good ol boys think Headers are worthless,, to them they are only good for exhaust leaks.

So my guess is he thought he was doing you a favor by welding your y-pipe to the header collectors.

If you plan on reusing your headers and y-pipe I would take a sawzall to the y-pipe about 6" before the y-pipe flare. Then take your Y-pipe to a muffler shop and have them flare the ends that you cut so you can slide your y-pipe over the part of the y-pipe that is still attached to the headers.

Or you can take a sawzall to the y-pipe about 6" before the y-pipe flare and use flat band exhaust clamps when you put the y-pipe back under the car.
Truck drivers and diesel mchanics love to use flat band exhaust clamps.

Just some Idea's