Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help car wont start

Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help car wont start

just finished putting my 383 back in connected everything up and the car wont even crank over.when i say that i mean like nothing happens when i turn the car onto start. so im guessing its a electrical problem. any ideas what this could be? my friend fried my battery bc he put the altenator wire as a ground. but i bought a new battery. do you think that would be the problem or its just a connector or ground i missed? also my lights are being very wierd. the interior light stays on even when the door is shut and the asr button light stays on. when i press it the car beeps like when the door is open and the key is in. also all the dash lights go on. i really want to get this thing started today. you guys have any ideas of what it could be?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Hmmm that was a bad mistake your friend did

Hopefully your fuses and relays did there job?I would check those first.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be honest with you ,man. I don't have a clue what it could be, but you can try to disconnect your battery or even your pcm for a few minutes and see what happens after you hook it back up. Check all your fuses as well . Was your car ever tuned before the mods you have now ?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

starter is getting juice just tested it. going to check all my fuses now. the black ground that runs from the battery to the starter where should i ground that?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mac 2002 SS
I'm going to be honest with you ,man. I don't have a clue what it could be, but you can try to disconnect your battery or even your pcm for a few minutes and see what happens after you hook it back up. Check all your fuses as well . Was your car ever tuned before the mods you have now ?
my car was tuned with my old cam only setup. everything worked well prior to this new build. im thinking its my fuses now and i shuld re put my ground somewhere. rite now its on the motor mount frame bolt.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

My ground strap for my ground battery cable is grounded on the fender well behind the battery thats the factory location.The main ground cable on mine is bolted to the side of the block close to the starter.Mine is also a 2000
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to be for sure, when u turn the key forward to the guages, and lights operate as normal or do they not even function at all?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miller456
just to be for sure, when u turn the key forward to the guages, and lights operate as normal or do they not even function at all?
all the dash lights come on. its wierd tho bc wen i turn the key to the off position all of the gauge pointers bounce up and down
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you still have VATS in your car or did you have it deleted when the car was tuned last? That could also be your problem, just throwing it out there. Friend of mines car had driven great since 2002, then just last week come out from work to start the car all dash lights come on guages work, but when turning the key fwd....nothing not even initiation of the starter and VATS was his problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got car to crank over but now as soon as it turns it backfires and sparks near my exhaust. is this okay until it starts? im scared to keep giving it gas.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00 black ss
got car to crank over but now as soon as it turns it backfires and sparks near my exhaust. is this okay until it starts? im scared to keep giving it gas.
okay, I have another crazy question . what size injectors was your current combo tuned for ? The reason I asked ,is that if your previous combo was tuned with smaller injectors and you upgraded to a larger injector with this current combo ,this could cause a problem as well.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

okay, I have another crazy question . what size injectors was your current combo tuned for ? The reason I asked ,is that if your previous combo was tuned with smaller injectors and you upgraded to a larger injector with this current combo ,this could cause a problem as well.
stock injectors. i have 42# but im not putting them on till right before i get my tune. is it safe to start with backfire? would it go away once it actually turns over?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Ouch !! I hope some more guys chime in on this one cause I hate to be the only one to tell you to start her *** up. But before you do , check you plugs and make sure they are properly gapped. Pull your valve covers just to make sure your rockers ,springs, and pushrods are good. When you hear something like that, it's never to picky to check out everything before you try to crank her up again. $$$
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch !! I hope some more guys chime in on this one cause I hate to be the only one to tell you to start her *** up. But before you do , check you plugs and make sure they are properly gapped. Pull your valve covers just to make sure your rockers ,springs, and pushrods are good. When you hear something like that, it's never to picky to check out everything before you try to crank her up again. $$$
what is the correct gap for ls1s? i have tr 55s
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just tried it again. it dosent even start to turn over. then i give it some gas and it will backfire. anybody have any solutions?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

did you check your fuel pump ? i think it sound make some kind of buzzing noise when you try to start the car. If it doesn't ,then that could be a problem too. I'm just brain stormin' with you ,man.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did you check your fuel pump ? i think it sound make some kind of buzzing noise when you try to start the car. If it doesn't ,then that could be a problem too. I'm just brain stormin' with you ,man.
ya man i appreciate the help. yea the fuel pump buzzes before i start the key. im gapping my spark plugs now. i have the dread passenger side to do then il try starting it up again
Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on the driver side fuel rail, take off the cap on the end of the rail and you will see the shrader valve. Just like deflating a tire push the valve in just once see if fuel shoots out to check if you have pressure at the rail. If so you can eliminate everything from the pump to the rails. Then u either got an issue with injectors not firing properly or spark.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miller456
on the driver side fuel rail, take off the cap on the end of the rail and you will see the shrader valve. Just like deflating a tire push the valve in just once see if fuel shoots out to check if you have pressure at the rail. If so you can eliminate everything from the pump to the rails. Then u either got an issue with injectors not firing properly or spark.
gas came shooting out. i just gapped my spark plugs to .050. and check that i was getting spark and still nothing
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.... any ideas of what it could be??

Search this Thread