LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil getting in radiator from intake manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil getting in radiator from intake manifold??

As some of you have remembered, I thought i blew my head gasket after i found oil in my radiator. This was about 3-4 weeks after I had done a head swap and new head gaskets. So last night I put water in the radiator and let it run for about 5 minutes with the cap off,then all of a sudden I see engine oil coming from the line that connects to the intake manifold and pumps in coolant right underneath the cap. it would shoot out a milky substance, then when it stopped pumping engine oil would just ooze right out of it. I'll get some pics tonight, and maybe a video if i can find my camera. anybody know of anything like this?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you might need an engine block flush
Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Impossible for the coolant to be getting oil from the intake. The line your talking about connects to the back of your cylinder heads. How does the engine oil look? Is it milky too? I'd pressure test your cooling system and flush the engine and rad, or get the rad cleaned. If everything checks out there and your still having issues most likey it's a head gasket issue again. What head gaskets did you use?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took it to a mechanic, he's had it for a few days now and checked everything out. And like airfix stated it's impossible for the coolant to be getting oil from the intake. He said that it has to do something with the oil cooler or gasket from the oil filter housing or something similar to that, idk lol, that's the only way the water pump would be pumping out oil, i didn't really get to talk to him in detail with it but we'll find out when everything is taken care of. thanks everyone.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Bypass or remove the oil cooler and see what happens. There have been cases in the past of them mixing from the cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil getting in radiator from intake manifold??