Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust suggestions

I put a 6.0 cammed motor in my car and now it's a little loud for my taste. I have the TSP TD's with dynomax bullets so I was going to see what you guys would recommend. I like the TD setup and would like to keep it but is there any way I can swap out of the mufflers for something else to quiet it down or would you guys just go with a whole new exhaust system? What mufflers would you guys use if you just changed them out? Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have an exhaust shop add pipe to run them under the axle (it'll clear) and out the back with maybe some magnaflow #14419's tucked up where the stock pipe would normally exit. Have them weld a 3-bolt flange to the end of your TD's and to the new pipe so you can disconnect if you ever go to the track.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People have fit mufflers with the exact size of the Dynomax VT mufflers. No problems with leaking like an electric cutout (god damn I have wasted a lot of money on those absolute pieces of junk), but all of the benefits of a quiet idle and open exhaust based on your foot and instantly.

My suggestion, and I'll be doing it to my car soon enough, dual Dynomax VTs.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transsam
People have fit mufflers with the exact size of the Dynomax VT mufflers. No problems with leaking like an electric cutout (god damn I have wasted a lot of money on those absolute pieces of junk), but all of the benefits of a quiet idle and open exhaust based on your foot and instantly.

My suggestion, and I'll be doing it to my car soon enough, dual Dynomax VTs.
You must post vids. I've wondered how those sound on our cars.

To the OP...just get them run over or under the axle so the sound is not inside the car. That's what fixing to do and for the same reason as you.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm swapping out the bullets on my TSP duals for a set of Powersticks...just ordered them today. I don't know why, but the TSP duals are significantly louder than the set of duals they replaced, and both are dumped bullet setups. I doubt the Powersticks quiet it down any, but I'm hoping they change the sound signature a little bit.

Might take a little fab work, but the single-chamber Flowmasters are supposed to sound pretty good, as do the 4x9" Magnaflow mufflers.

Also going to pick up some good sound dampener (using some Second Skin Damplifier or RAAMmat, but B-Quiet is good, too) to try and kill some interior resonance from the exhaust.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

So far I like the idea of either just extending the pipe out of the back without another set of mufflers or running an additional set that I can unbolt when I race.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 AM
10 Second Club

Alright so after thinking about looking around, I think I'm going to get dual cut-outs to replace my dynomax bullets and then run 2.5" under the axle to dual Borla XR-1 mufflers. Then when I goto the track, I can run 3" open x-pipe and around the street I can run full exhaust. Do you guys think this would be a good setup? Thanks for the suggestions again
Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

what about adding cats after your longtubes? That would help quiet it down. I would also agree with the post of running the true duals to the rear and adding another bullet muffler to each pipe.