Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few swap questions, steam vent, evap canister, shifter relocation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A few swap questions, steam vent, evap canister, shifter relocation.

LS1 into a BMW Z3. Car started as a stock 4-cyl car, previous owner put an SR20DET motor in it (Nissan 4-cyl turbo motor,) I bought the car and decided to go LS1. I only mention the SR motor swap to say that most of the stock BMW items are no longer in the car (if it matters.)

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers on. Either I'm not searching specifically enough or I'm retarded.

1) Steam vent - I keep reading that I need to keep this, and that some people plumb it into the heater core hoses. I currently have this plumbed into the 3/4" heater core hose near the heater core port on the firewall. Is this ok, or does it need to be on the smaller 5/8" hose?

2) Evap canister on the driver's side head - I've read that this releases excess pressure when needed. Where, exactly, should I plumb this to, if I even need it? I *think* that there is currently a line running from the gas tank that just has a pressure-relief cap on it (I don't know what else it could be, as it doesn't run to anything, and it's in the engine compartment. It was also not connected on the SR20 motor.

3) I know that some companies (McLeod comes to mind) make relocation shifters. The shifter needs to come straight back around 7" center to center to be even/centered in the shifter hole. I intend to call around and ask, but I also figured I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions on moving the shifter back 7" or so. I made a temporary solution just to get the car on the road, but it is by NO means a permanent solution.

I might have more questions, but this is it for the time being. The car still needs wired, a clutch line, and some other misc, but is very close to being on the road

Thanks!

Last edited by Coup D E'Tat; 09-12-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: A few swap questions, steam vent, evap canister, shifter relocation.